Uniform Circular Motion of a car

In summary: I figured it out. I don't understand how Fk is involved, but it turns out that substituting in the value for v2/R (instead of just R) does the trick.In summary, the problem is saying that the coefficient of friction was zero in the first case, or that it just increased. To solve for the angle of the road that would need to be banked with no coefficient of friction for a car traveling 90 km/hr, you would use the same basic idea, only now you have an additional force--the friction.
uchicago2012

Homework Statement

If a curve with a radius of 60 meters is properly banked for a car traveling 60 km/hr, what must the coefficient of friction be for a car on the same curve traveling 90 km/hr?

Homework Equations

Fmax = u * Fn
where Fmax = force causing the friction, u = coefficient of friction, and Fn = normal force

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm beginning to think I don't really understand uniform circular motion. I read through my book's examples but they're not very helpful. What does a car traveling around a curve 60 km/hr tell us about a car traveling around the curve at 90 km/hr? Is the problem saying that the coefficient of friction was zero in the first case, or that it just increased? I don't understand where to begin with these problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the question, 'properly banked' curve indicates that there is no frictional force coming into play to provide centripetal acceleration. Only the component of normal force (horizontal) on the car provides the necessary centripetal force for its motion in curved path.

So don't involve any equation which includes friction force.

'What does a car traveling around a curve 60 km/hr tell us about a car traveling around the curve at 90 km/hr?'

You first derive the equation. Then you can easily figure out the answer to your question.

uchicago2012 said:
If a curve with a radius of 60 meters is properly banked for a car traveling 60 km/hr,
Hint: Use this data to figure out the angle that the road is banked. See Abdul Quadeer's tips.

So I drew a free body diagram that had the normal force, Fn, coming away at an angle from the vertical. I decided the angle between Fn and the vertical was the angle that the curve was banked, since if it wasn't banked Fn would presumably be completely vertical. I found the angle theta between the vertical and Fn to be about 25 degrees but I'm still confused as to how to solve the rest of the problem. I have some vague idea that if I can find what Fn would be for the car traveling 90 km/hr then I might be able to find the change in Fn and sub that into F = u * Fn, where the change in Fn would be Fn and F would be the net forces, or Fn + Fg, and u would be the coefficient of friction. Only I don't see how to find what Fn would be for the car traveling at 90 km/hr and I'm not particularly sure if that idea is even remotely correct.

How did you solve for the banking angle? You'd solve the rest of the problem in a similar manner.

Hint: Draw your free body diagram and consider vertical and horizontal forces separately, applying Newton's 2nd law to each direction. Then combine the two equations.

I found the angle theta by:

FNx = FN sin theta
FNy = FN cos theta
Fg = mg

Fnet,y = FN cos theta - mg
Fnet,x = FN sin theta = m (v2/ R) <- this is from Fnet = ma, and a for centripetal motion equals (v2/R)

So I rewrote them to be::
FN cos theta = mg
FN sin theta = m (v2/ R)

by trig, I saw tan theta = FNx/ FNy
so
tan theta = m (v2/R) / mg
and then I solved for theta.

Using this method, I can find the angle of the road would need to be banked with no coefficient of friction for a car traveling 90 km/hr, but I don't see how theta has anything to do with the coefficient of friction.

uchicago2012 said:
Using this method, I can find the angle of the road would need to be banked with no coefficient of friction for a car traveling 90 km/hr, but I don't see how theta has anything to do with the coefficient of friction.
Use the same basic idea, only now you have an additional force--the friction.

Find the net force in the x-direction; apply F = ma.

Find the net force in the y-direction; apply F = ma. (Of course, a = 0 for the y-direction.)

Set up those equations and solve for the coefficient of friction.

But if I do that I get:

Fnet,x = Fk + Fn sin theta = ma
= m(v2/R)​
Fnet, y = FN cos theta - mg = ma
= FN cos theta - mg = m(0)​
= FN cos theta = mg​

FN sin theta = m (v2/R) - Fk
FN cos theta = mg

then
tan theta = (m(v2/R) - Fk) / mg
which doesn't help because the masses don't cancel out, since I added in an extra force. Unless there's some algebraic trick or substitution I'm missing

uchicago2012 said:
then
tan theta = (m(v2/R) - Fk) / mg
which doesn't help because the masses don't cancel out

I'm confused. Don't you KNOW everything in this expression except for Fk?

EDIT: Nevermind, that's not true. What I should have said was: I'm confused: doesn't the mass still cancel out because of the nature of Fk?

EDIT 2: I didn't actually check any of your work, I was just addressing that specific point under the assumption everything else was right (which it might not be).

Last edited:
Er. What exactly is the nature of Fk? It's the friction force, it opposes the direction of movement of some force, in this case, the anti-centripetal force.

I'm not sure what you mean.

uchicago2012 said:
Er. What exactly is the nature of Fk? It's the friction force, it opposes the direction of movement of some force, in this case, the anti-centripetal force.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Yeah, but how does it depend upon MASS, and on the coeff. of friction, which I believe is what you are trying to solve for?

I don't really know. I don't understand it well, I believe.

Fk = u * Fn
and it seems probable that Fk generally increases as mass increases, if u remains the same.

I'm just confused. Even if I solved the equation for Fk I would still need to find Fn in order to be able to apply the two quantities to the only equation I know relating Fn and Fk.

uchicago2012 said:
But if I do that I get:

Fnet,x = Fk + Fn sin theta = ma
= m(v2/R)​
Fnet, y = FN cos theta - mg = ma
= FN cos theta - mg = m(0)​
= FN cos theta = mg​
Careful! What direction does friction point? (And we're talking about maximum static friction, not kinetic.) Consider the x and y components of the friction force when applying Newton's 2nd law.

Also, express friction in terms of the normal force. Once you get your equations correct, the mass will drop out and your only unknown will be the coefficient of friction.

I redrew my free body diagram so that Fr (the friction force, I renamed it) is in the third quadrant pointing down. I put it there because Fr is supposed to be parallel to the surface, which would make it perpendicular to Fn. Theta2 would then just be negative theta, measured from the x axis.

Fnet,x = Fn sin theta + Fr cos theta2 = ma
Fn sin theta = ma - Fr cos theta2

Fnet,y = Fn cos theta - Fr sin theta2 - mg = ma
Fn cos theta = Fr sin theta2 + mg​

I feel as if this has something to do with Fr. Am I putting it in the wrong place? I don't know why it would go elsewhere- I thought I finally figured out that Fr was always supposed to be parallel to the surface.

uchicago2012 said:
I redrew my free body diagram so that Fr (the friction force, I renamed it) is in the third quadrant pointing down. I put it there because Fr is supposed to be parallel to the surface, which would make it perpendicular to Fn. Theta2 would then just be negative theta, measured from the x axis.
Sounds good to me.

Fnet,x = Fn sin theta + Fr cos theta2 = ma
Good! What is the acceleration?
Fn sin theta = ma - Fr cos theta2
Skip this step.

Fnet,y = Fn cos theta - Fr sin theta2 - mg = ma
Good! What is the acceleration?
Fn cos theta = Fr sin theta2 + mg​
Skip this step.
I feel as if this has something to do with Fr. Am I putting it in the wrong place? I don't know why it would go elsewhere- I thought I finally figured out that Fr was always supposed to be parallel to the surface.
You're doing fine. Express the friction in terms of the normal force. Then see if you can combine those two equations in a manner that eliminates the unknowns you don't care about. (Hint: Move all mass-containing terms to one side.)

Related to Uniform Circular Motion of a car

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is always moving at the same speed and in the same direction around the center of the circle.

2. How does a car maintain uniform circular motion?

In order for a car to maintain uniform circular motion, there must be a net force acting towards the center of the circle. This force is called the centripetal force and it is provided by the friction between the tires and the road. The speed of the car must also remain constant throughout the motion.

3. What factors affect the uniform circular motion of a car?

The factors that affect the uniform circular motion of a car include the radius of the circular path, the speed of the car, and the mass of the car. A larger radius requires a larger centripetal force to maintain the motion, while a higher speed or a heavier car will also require a greater centripetal force.

4. Can a car experience uniform circular motion on a banked road?

Yes, a car can experience uniform circular motion on a banked road if the road is properly banked at the right angle. This angle, also known as the angle of banking, helps to provide the necessary centripetal force to maintain the car's motion without relying solely on friction.

5. What are some real-life examples of uniform circular motion?

Some real-life examples of uniform circular motion include amusement park rides such as a carousel or a Ferris wheel, the motion of a satellite orbiting around Earth, and the rotation of a washing machine or a ceiling fan. In each of these cases, the object is moving in a circular path at a constant speed.