Uniform Circular Motion extended response

In summary, the conversation discussed a student's response to a homework assignment on centripetal acceleration and circular motion. The student's response was deemed satisfactory, but there was potential for further exploration of more advanced concepts. The student expressed interest in learning more about mechanics, particularly in relation to their career aspirations.
NickSpain96
This began as homework that our Physics teacher set us. However, for some reason he decided no to collect it. I am curious as to whether or not this display my understanding of the topic well as communication is main area my teacher believes I need improvement in.

Homework Statement

Write a response of the appropriate format discussing:
- Existence and properties of centripetal acceleration
- Cause(s) of centripetal acceleration
- 4 examples of circular motion (must have 3 different forces)

Homework Equations

Δv=s/t, Δa=v/t, F=ma, a=v^2/r, F=mv^2/r

These are the only relevant equations I am aware of, however, I don't doubt there are much more and if possible please comment them

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached is my response.

Attachments

• Uniform Circular Motion.docx
    162.3 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi, welcome to physicsforums!
Your response looks pretty good to me. It explains the concept in a fairly clear way, and you gave some nice examples. It looks like you showed that you understand the physics pretty well. There is more (slightly more advanced physics) related to circular motion that you could have talked about. But I am guessing that this response was meant to be about the basics of circular motion, and I think you do explain that pretty well.

Thanks BruceW,
BruceW said:
There is more (slightly more advanced physics) related to circular motion that you could have talked about. But I am guessing that this response was meant to be about the basics of circular motionl.
Your right in saying it was the basics of circular motion as this is my first year of high school physics, however, I am curious about the more advanced side of circular motion (or any kind of mechanics in general, as I am aspiring to become an aeronautical or aerospace engineer). If you or anyone else who is reading this would be able to explain it to me, or even provide me with some resources that would be great :).

Related to Uniform Circular Motion extended response

1. How is uniform circular motion defined?

Uniform circular motion is defined as the movement of an object along a circular path at a constant speed, with the direction of motion constantly changing, creating a continuous circular motion.

2. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant, while in non-uniform circular motion, the speed varies at different points along the circular path.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of the circular path, allowing it to maintain its circular motion. Without this force, the object would continue in a straight line tangent to the circle.

4. How is angular velocity related to linear velocity in uniform circular motion?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are directly proportional in uniform circular motion. As the angular velocity increases, the linear velocity also increases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life examples of uniform circular motion?

Some examples of uniform circular motion include the Earth orbiting around the sun, a car driving along a curved road, and a satellite orbiting around a planet.