Uniform Circular Motion Derivation of Radial Acceleration

In summary, the homework statement is trying to derive the formula a_r=\frac{v^2}{r} for uniform circular motion, but is having some difficulty.
hermes1908

Homework Statement

I am trying to derive the formula [tex]a_r=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex] for uniform circular motion (for personal understanding, this is not an assignment). But am having some difficulty. I have seen other proofs, but I want to know why my approach is wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we are considering uniform circular motion, we assume the tangential and angular accelerations are 0, and the magnitude of the velocity of the particle at any point is the same. Adding the two vectors shown in attached picture, gives us the magnitude of the change in velocity (sqrt(2)*v) over a distance of ∏/2. Since the angular displacement of the particle is ∏/2 we can find the amount of time that has passed by [tex]\frac{\frac{\pi}{2} r}{v}[/tex]. Now simply taking the velocity and dividing it by the derived time expression should yield the magnitude of the radial acceleration, but as you can see it gives [tex]\frac{2\sqrt{2}v^2}{\pi r}[/tex]. My answer is close to what is expected so I suspect my mistake is mathematical in nature, but I can't seem to figure out what it is.

Attachments

• uniform velocity.jpg
    uniform velocity.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 564
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method gives the correct value for the average acceleration over the finite time interval of a quarter of a circle. The acceleration is not constant because it is continually changing its direction. So, there is a difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration.

Note that if you took a full circle for your time interval, then your calculation would give the correct answer of zero average acceleration.

You need to consider infinitesimal time intervals to get the instantaneous acceleration.

You made a valiant attempt, but you used too large an angle. Try it with a smaller angle, and see what you get. Another way to do it is using vector calculus. In terms of a unit vector in the θ direction [itex]\vec{i_\theta}[/itex], the velocity vector [itex]\vec{V}[/itex] is given by:
[tex]\vec{V}=V\vec{i_\theta}[/tex] The unit vector in the θ direction [itex]\vec{i_\theta}[/itex] varies with θ according to:
[tex]\frac{\partial \vec{i_\theta}}{\partial \theta}=-\vec{i_r}[/tex]
If we take the derivative of the velocity vector [itex]\vec{V}[/itex] with respect to time, we obtain:[tex]\frac{d\vec{V}}{dt}=-V\vec{i_r}\frac{d \theta}{dt}[/tex]
But,
[tex]r\frac{d\theta}{dt}=V[/tex]
Therefore, [tex]\frac{d\vec{V}}{dt}=-\frac{V^2}{r}\vec{i_r}[/tex]

Related to Uniform Circular Motion Derivation of Radial Acceleration

What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object in a circular path at a constant speed.

What is the derivation of radial acceleration in uniform circular motion?

The derivation of radial acceleration in uniform circular motion involves using the formula for centripetal acceleration, which is equal to the velocity squared divided by the radius of the circular path. This can also be written as the product of angular velocity squared and the radius.

What is the formula for radial acceleration in uniform circular motion?

The formula for radial acceleration in uniform circular motion is a = v^2/r or a = ω^2r, where v is the velocity, r is the radius, and ω is the angular velocity.

What is the difference between tangential and radial acceleration in uniform circular motion?

Tangential acceleration is the acceleration in the direction of the velocity, while radial acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circular path. In uniform circular motion, tangential acceleration is zero, while radial acceleration is non-zero.

How is radial acceleration related to centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

Radial acceleration is directly proportional to the centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. This means that as the magnitude of the centripetal force increases, so does the magnitude of the radial acceleration.