Uniform Circular Motion and the Force of a Car on a Bumpy Road

In summary: At B, NB=mg-mv2/r. So, NB is bigger than NA.In summary, the force of the car on the road is larger at point B (the top of a hill) than it is at point A (a valley) due to the equation F_c= mg-N_B, where N is the normal reaction. This is because at point B, the normal force is smaller than at point A due to the centripetal force acting in the opposite direction to the weight.
nahanksh

Homework Statement

A car, which weighs 1000 N, travels over a bumpy road with a constant speed. Gravity acts. The road at point B is in the shape of a circle with a radius of 100 meters.
http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys211/oldexams/exam1/sp08/fig21.gif

Which one of these statements correctly relates the force of the car on the road at points A (a valley) and B (the top of a hill)?

(a) The magnitude of the force of the car on the road is larger at point A than it is at point B.
(b) The magnitude of the force of the car on the road is larger at point B than it is at point A.
(c) You need to know the road radius at point A to answer this question.

Homework Equations

a = v^2/r^2 = w^2*r

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought at the point A, it's considered as the lowest point of circular path, while
the point B is considered as the highest point.

So, at A Weight is somewhat canceled with the tension(thinking about uniform circular path) but at B weight is added to the tension..

That's why i thought B has larger force than at point A...

What's wrong in my attempt..?

Please help me out here...

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
At point B, the centripetal force equation is

[tex]F_c= mg-N_B[/tex]

where N is the normal reaction. What is the equation at A?

Isn't it F= (N)a - mg at A?

But I'm still confused it seems to me that normal force is the same for both points...

It's not the same, is it?

Thanks for your reply.

nahanksh said:
Isn't it F= (N)a - mg at A?

But I'm still confused it seems to me that normal force is the same for both points...

It's not the same, is it?

Thanks for your reply.

So at A, NA= mv2/r +mg

and at B, NB=mg-mv2/r

which one will be bigger?

Thanks a lot.
I've got it !

Related to Uniform Circular Motion and the Force of a Car on a Bumpy Road

What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circle at a constant speed. The direction of the object's velocity is constantly changing, but the magnitude of the velocity remains the same.

What is the difference between uniform circular motion and simple harmonic motion?

The main difference between uniform circular motion and simple harmonic motion is that in uniform circular motion, the object moves in a circular path, while in simple harmonic motion, the object moves back and forth along a straight line. Additionally, the acceleration in uniform circular motion is always directed towards the center of the circle, while the acceleration in simple harmonic motion is directed towards the equilibrium point.

What is the relationship between centripetal force and uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In uniform circular motion, the centripetal force is always directed towards the center of the circle and is equal to the product of the mass of the object, its velocity squared, and the radius of the circle. This relationship is described by the equation F = mv²/r.

How does the radius of the circle affect uniform circular motion?

The radius of the circle affects uniform circular motion in two ways. First, a larger radius means a larger distance for the object to travel, resulting in a longer period of motion. Second, a larger radius means a smaller centripetal force, which means the object can move at a lower speed to maintain the circular motion.

Can an object in uniform circular motion have a constant speed and changing velocity?

Yes, an object in uniform circular motion can have a constant speed and changing velocity. This is because velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both speed and direction. In uniform circular motion, the speed remains constant, but the direction of the velocity is constantly changing, resulting in a changing velocity.