Uniform charged ball charge density problem

In summary, a 20-cm radius ball is uniformly charged to 80 nC. To find the ball's charge density, divide the charge by the volume of the sphere. The charge enclosed by spheres at points 5, 10, and 20 cm from the center can be found by finding the proportion of the area of the portion of the sphere at that distance, divided by the total volume of the sphere. The electric field strength at these points can be found using the formula E=kq/r^2, where q is the charge enclosed by the portion of the sphere at that distance. If the ball is conducting, the charge density will be in c/m^2, but if it is non-conducting,
kirby2
A 20-cm radius ball is uniformly charged to 80 nC.
(a) What is the ball’s charge density (C/m3)?
(b) How much charge is enclosed by spheres at points 5, 10 and 20 cm
from the center?
(c) What is the electric field strength at points 5, 10 and 20 cm from the
center?

ATTEMPT:

part a: i don't know how to get the answer, but i know A=4(pi)r^2 and i know how to convert the nC to C. but my units of A will be m^2 and i need m^3.

part b: i think the charge at 5, and 10 is zero because all of the charge is on the outside of the ball. so to find the charge at 20cm (surface) i think it would be 100% of the charge so 80nC.

part c: since there's no charge at 5 or 10 cm i think E=0. at 20cm i would use the formula E=kq/r^2.

am i on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
kirby2 said:
A 20-cm radius ball is uniformly charged to 80 nC.
(a) What is the ball’s charge density (C/m3)?
(b) How much charge is enclosed by spheres at points 5, 10 and 20 cm
from the center?
(c) What is the electric field strength at points 5, 10 and 20 cm from the
center?

ATTEMPT:

part a: i don't know how to get the answer, but i know A=4(pi)r^2 and i know how to convert the nC to C. but my units of A will be m^2 and i need m^3.

part b: i think the charge at 5, and 10 is zero because all of the charge is on the outside of the ball. so to find the charge at 20cm (surface) i think it would be 100% of the charge so 80nC.

part c: since there's no charge at 5 or 10 cm i think E=0. at 20cm i would use the formula E=kq/r^2.

am i on the right track?

The ball is charged everywhere, not just on the surface. If you want charge per unit CUBED, you want to divide the charge by the volume, not the area.

Knowing this, try b) and c) again.

And a hint: since the charge is evenly distributed, to find the charge contained in a PORTION of the sphere, just find the area of that portion, divide by the total volume of the sphere, and that will give you the proportion of the charge contained in that portion.

If the charge is mobile then it will push out to the surface of the sphere.

ok so, retrying part A i used A=(4/3)(pi)r^3 and got A=0.0335. so my new answer is 8E-8/0.0335=2.387E-6. is this right for part A?

it depends on whether the ball is conducing or non-conducting.
If the ball is conducting then your approach is right. And answer will be in c/m^2.
But as you have mentioned that answer of charge density has been asked in c/m^3 ball is assumed to be non-conducting. Charge densities at inner points will not be zero. You will have to find electric field at inner points by gauss' law

my last response's answer is in C/m^3. (2.387E-6) is this one right?

Seems fine to me.

Related to Uniform charged ball charge density problem

What is a uniform charged ball charge density problem?

A uniform charged ball charge density problem refers to a physics problem where a spherical object is given a uniform charge distribution, and the goal is to calculate the electric field or potential at a specific point in space.

What is the formula for calculating the electric field or potential in a uniform charged ball charge density problem?

The formula for calculating the electric field or potential in a uniform charged ball charge density problem is the same as that for an isolated point charge. It is given by Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field is directly proportional to the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge.

How do I determine the direction of the electric field in a uniform charged ball charge density problem?

The direction of the electric field in a uniform charged ball charge density problem can be determined by using the principle of superposition. This states that the total electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields due to each charge on the ball. The direction of the electric field will be along the direction of the net force on a positive test charge placed at that point.

Can the electric field or potential be calculated at any point in space for a uniform charged ball charge density problem?

Yes, the electric field or potential can be calculated at any point in space for a uniform charged ball charge density problem. However, the calculations become more complex as the point moves closer to the charged ball.

How does the charge density affect the electric field or potential in a uniform charged ball charge density problem?

The charge density does not directly affect the electric field or potential in a uniform charged ball charge density problem. This is because the electric field or potential is determined by the total charge of the ball, not the distribution of the charge. However, a higher charge density may result in a stronger electric field or potential due to the cumulative effect of the individual charges.