Uniform Charge Distribution. Find total charge.

In summary, the total charge inside a rectangular box with diagonal corners at (0,0,0) and (-1,2,3) cm is 15E-15 C.
maherelharake

Homework Statement

We have a rectangular box with diagonal corners at (0,0,0) and (-1,2,3)cm. We place charge inside this box with distribution, ρ(r)=2x-3(z-1) with units of nC/m3. What is the total charge inside this box?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an answer, but I am not sure if I thought about it correctly. I would greatly appreciate confirmation on my thinking, and my final answer if possible. Thanks a lot.

I started with a triple integral of the charge distribution over the bounds for all three dimensions. After integrating, I ended up with a result of 15. I finally converted that into 15E-15 C after factoring in the cm to m conversion and the nC to C conversion. Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your idea ist correct, but you must be careful with the direction of integrating. The 15 is wrong. If you do the integration correctly you will get a different number.

If you don't see what you have to change, do the same box (i.e. the same integration) for a constant charge density [tex]\rho=1[/tex]. You should get a positive total charge but I suspect you will not.

Is it supposed to be 3? I believe my mistake was on the bounds of integration for the x- integral. I had it going from 0 to -1, but perhaps it is supposed to be reversed?

Yes.

Hmmm ok. So would the proper answer, after accounting for units, be 3E-15 C ?

Yes, or 3 fC (femto-Coulomb)

Ok great. If I have any other questions, I will ask, but I think that takes care of it! Thanks!

Wait I am confused again. Even if I reverse the bounds, won't the answer remain unchanged. A negative sign will go out front, but won't it be countered by another negative sign when solving the integral?

Reversing the bound and putting a minus is valid mathematical operation so it will not change your wrong result.

If you define the first integral from 0 to -1 you will always get the wrong answer.

If you look up the definition of the total charge, you will see that it is defined as the integral over the whole space, nothing in terms of boundaries, etc.
So by definition the integral over x has to go from -1 to 0.
This is the reason why the box had so strange coordinates.

You can see it easier if you compute just the volume of the box. The Volume obviously has to be positiv, but with your definition it isn't.

Ok I changed the integral to go from -1 to 0 for the x component. I'm still getting 15 though. I'm getting 6+27-18=15. Any ideas?

Wait ok I think I got it. I'm getting -6+27-18=3. That's the right answer, but I hope I did it correctly

Sorry. I was a bit too quick before. I just checked the 3, which is correct, but it should be -3.

Post your calculations if I you want me to help find the error. Those numbers could be anything.

Hope you can see this

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/maherelharake/photo-24.jpg

wrong... too late today. Tomorrow again...

Last edited:
Sorry I am confused. Do you mean you are going to help me tomorrow? Thanks.

Good morning. My late night calculations were a bit wrong. Everything is fine with your +3. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok great. So all my work was correct and my final answer of 3E-15 is correct as well?

Yes.

Ok thanks

Related to Uniform Charge Distribution. Find total charge.

1. What is a uniform charge distribution?

A uniform charge distribution refers to a situation where electric charge is evenly distributed throughout a given space or object.

2. How is uniform charge distribution different from non-uniform charge distribution?

In a uniform charge distribution, the electric charge is evenly distributed throughout the space or object, whereas in a non-uniform distribution, the charge is concentrated in certain areas and may vary in density.

3. What is the total charge in a uniform charge distribution?

The total charge in a uniform charge distribution is the sum of all the individual charges within the space or object.

4. How is total charge calculated in a uniform charge distribution?

To find the total charge, you can use the equation Q = n * q, where Q is the total charge, n is the number of charges, and q is the charge of each individual particle.

5. Can the total charge in a uniform charge distribution be negative?

Yes, the total charge in a uniform charge distribution can be negative if the individual charges are negative. However, the distribution itself will still be considered uniform as long as the charges are evenly distributed.