Unified or Fractured? Universe Info Transmission Speed

In summary: Not quite. I should really say 'null cones' rather than light cones. They are a structure of spacetime. Blockage by Earth is not a feature of causal structure. For one thing, neutrinos go right through the earth.
JUrban
For some reason I find it hard to comprehend that at the natural base level of existence (whatever that means), that the information-scape (all the stuff that is happening throughout space) is totally fragmented from each other, except of course for the "slow" transmission of information to neighbors via electromagnetic radiation and other info transmission modes. My gut just tells me that there has to be, at some foundational level, information unification of all these parts of the universe, with no fragmenting temporal delays. Thoughts? What say you, unified or fractured?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything we know as of now is consistent with complete causal separation between events not in each other's light cones. Even quantum entanglement is not realized until there is an event in the future light cones of both entangled measurements. Any beliefs beyond this (e.g. an unknowable absolute connectedness or simultaneity) are philosophy, not science unless some observation inconsistent with conventional special relativity occurs.

JUrban said:
... information unification of all these parts of the universe, with no fragmenting temporal delays. Thoughts?

:confused: I Googled Information Unification, my only thought about the post is confusion.

Thanks PAllen. That's what I suspected, that based on our observations, the universe works purely on a system of limited information propagation. So I guess if say there was a brief solar flare, there would be a region of the universe, that extends out behind say the Earth at that general time to infinity, that is essentially in a totally separate parallel universe to that solar event, being that the Earth blocked that information transmission (mostly in the form of radiation and energetic particles). Strange thought.

nitsuj said:
:confused: I Googled Information Unification, my only thought about the post is confusion.

Hehe, I'm guessing your Google search didn't find much, being that such unification apparently doesn't exist.

JUrban said:
Hehe, I'm guessing your Google search didn't find much, being that such unification apparently doesn't exist.

lol nope, just business IT solutions :smile:

JUrban said:
Thanks PAllen. That's what I suspected, that based on our observations, the universe works purely on a system of limited information propagation. So I guess if say there was a brief solar flare, there would be a region of the universe, that extends out behind say the Earth at that general time to infinity, that is essentially in a totally separate parallel universe to that solar event, being that the Earth blocked that information transmission (mostly in the form of radiation and energetic particles). Strange thought.

Not quite. I should really say 'null cones' rather than light cones. They are a structure of spacetime. Blockage by Earth is not a feature of causal structure. For one thing, neutrinos go right through the earth.

You can google "many fingered time" for one of several philosophic approaches dealing with the apparent nature of the universe.

Related to Unified or Fractured? Universe Info Transmission Speed

1. What is the difference between a unified and fractured universe?

A unified universe refers to the concept that the laws of physics are the same throughout the entire universe, while a fractured universe suggests that different regions of the universe may have different physical laws.

2. How is information transmitted in a unified or fractured universe?

In a unified universe, information is transmitted at the speed of light, as there are no inconsistencies in the laws of physics. In a fractured universe, information may be transmitted at different speeds depending on the region and its unique physical laws.

3. Can information travel faster than the speed of light in a fractured universe?

No, it is still not possible for information to travel faster than the speed of light in a fractured universe. While different regions may have different physical laws, the overall speed limit of the universe remains the same.

4. How does the concept of a unified or fractured universe affect our understanding of time and space?

A unified universe suggests that time and space are constant, while a fractured universe allows for the possibility of different regions experiencing time and space differently. This challenges our traditional understanding of these concepts and may require new theories to explain them.

5. Is there any evidence to support the idea of a unified or fractured universe?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence for either a unified or fractured universe. Both concepts are still theoretical and require further research and observation to be fully understood.