Unequal tension of a rope in a pulley system

In summary, unequal tension is caused by a difference in the tension along the length of a rope. This is usually due to the presence of a mass that affects the tension in the rope. If you want the pulley to rotate, you need to apply a net moment to it, and the higher tension part of the rope will create the net moment.
tchentroll
I am having a bit of difficulty with the concept of unequal tension in a rope. What are the conditions for unequal tension? I read that the tension is the same when there is no acceleration. Why is this the case? Can someone explain this concept to me? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
tchentroll said:
I am having a bit of difficulty with the concept of unequal tension in a rope. What are the conditions for unequal tension? I read that the tension is the same when there is no acceleration. Why is this the case? Can someone explain this concept to me? Thanks :)
Maybe you can explain to us first about what you mean by "unequal tension." Are you referring to tension variations along the length of the rope? And where does the pulley come in?

Chet

For example if two different masses are attached to the ends of a rope and the rope is part of a pulley system that has mass, why is the tension in the rope unequal on both sides?

tchentroll said:
For example if two different masses are attached to the ends of a rope and the rope is part of a pulley system that has mass, why is the tension in the rope unequal on both sides?
To accelerate the massive pulley, the rope must exert a tangential force on it, and the pulley will exert an equal but opposite tangential force on the rope. To balance that force on a piece of rope, the tensions at both ends of that piece must be different.

Likes Hydrous Caperilla and tchentroll
tchentroll said:
To get the pulley to accelerate (rotationally), you need to apply a net moment to the pulley. So the part of the rope attached to one of the masses must have a higher tension in it than the part of the rope attached to the other mass. This will translate into a net moment about the axis of the pulley. If the tensions were the same, there would be no net moment, and the pulley would not rotate.

Chet

Likes tchentroll

Related to Unequal tension of a rope in a pulley system

1. What is unequal tension in a pulley system?

Unequal tension in a pulley system refers to the unequal distribution of force or weight on a rope or cable that is connected to a pulley. This can happen when the load being lifted is not evenly distributed or when the ropes are not parallel to each other.

2. What causes unequal tension in a pulley system?

Unequal tension in a pulley system can be caused by a number of factors, including uneven distribution of weight in the load being lifted, differences in the strength or thickness of the ropes, or friction between the ropes and the pulleys.

3. How does unequal tension affect the performance of a pulley system?

Unequal tension can affect the performance of a pulley system by causing the ropes to wear out or break more quickly, reducing the efficiency of the system, and potentially causing the load to be lifted unevenly or become stuck.

4. How can unequal tension in a pulley system be prevented?

To prevent unequal tension in a pulley system, it is important to ensure that the load being lifted is evenly distributed and that the ropes are of equal strength and thickness. Regular maintenance and lubrication of the pulleys can also help reduce friction and prevent wear on the ropes.

5. What should be done if unequal tension is detected in a pulley system?

If unequal tension is detected in a pulley system, the load should be carefully lowered and the ropes and pulleys should be inspected for any signs of damage or wear. The cause of the unequal tension should be identified and addressed before continuing to use the system to prevent further issues.