Undetermined Coefficients of Difference Equations

In summary, the conversation is about solving a recurrence relation using undetermined coefficients. The problem is yn+1 - 2yn = 2 and the conversation discusses finding a particular solution by trying different polynomials and getting stuck at different points. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on the polynomial A(n+1).
kathrynag
I am working on a section on undetermined coefficients of a difference. I'm really trying to understand the material, but am struggling.
[tex]y_{n+1}[/tex]-2[tex]y_{n}[/tex]=2
I got as far as saying for the homogenous equation y=[tex]c_{1}[/tex][tex](-1)^{n}[/tex].
I'm assuming the guess next would be A, but I'm confused.
Maybe if someone could help me with some examples on how to do this using the 2 or something like 2^n or cos(n). I'm trying to learn something something new on my own and it's hard.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kathrynag! :smile:

Do you mean yn+1 - 2yn = 2 ? :confused:

If so, the homogenous equation for this recurrence relation is yn+1 - 2yn = 0, and C(-1)n is not a solution, is it?

For the particular solution, try a polynomial of lowest possible degree (start with zero!)

tiny-tim said:

Do you mean yn+1 - 2yn = 2 ? :confused:

If so, the homogenous equation for this recurrence relation is yn+1 - 2yn = 0, and C(-1)n is not a solution, is it?

For the particular solution, try a polynomial of lowest possible degree (start with zero!)

Yeah that's what i meant. I tried letting the polynomial =A.
Then A(n+1)+A=2
An+2A=2
This is where I get stuck.
Now if I had a number like n^2 on the end polynomial would be An^2+Bn+C
An^2(n+1)+Cn(n+1)+Cn+C+An^2+Bn+C=n^2
An^3+n^2(2A+C)+n(2C+B)+(2C)=n^2
I guess I get stuck at the end each time. Say I had cosn. Then polynomial would be Acosn+Bsinn.
Acos(n+1)+Bsin(n+1)+Acosn+Bsin(n)=cosn

Maybe I'm doing something wrong somewhere.

kathrynag said:
Yeah that's what i meant. I tried letting the polynomial =A.
Then A(n+1)+A=2
An+2A=2 …

Now you're mystifying me …

where did A(n+1) come from? :confused:

If the polynomial is A, then yn+1 - 2yn is -A …

carry on from there. :smile:

I understand that learning new material can be challenging, especially when it involves mathematical concepts like undetermined coefficients of difference equations. It seems like you have made some progress in understanding the concept by identifying the homogeneous equation and making a guess for the particular solution. I would suggest looking at some examples to help solidify your understanding of the process. For example, if the equation was y_{n+1}-2y_{n}=2^n, your guess for the particular solution would be y_{p}=A2^n, where A is a constant coefficient to be determined. You can then substitute this guess into the original equation and solve for A by comparing coefficients on both sides. Similarly, if the equation was y_{n+1}-2y_{n}=\cos(n), your guess for the particular solution would be y_{p}=A\cos(n)+B\sin(n), where A and B are constant coefficients to be determined. Again, substitute this guess into the original equation and solve for A and B by comparing coefficients. I hope this helps and I encourage you to keep practicing and seeking help if needed. Understanding new concepts takes time and effort, but it will be worth it in the end.

Related to Undetermined Coefficients of Difference Equations

1. What are undetermined coefficients in difference equations?

Undetermined coefficients refer to the unknown values that are used to solve for the particular solution of a difference equation. These coefficients are determined by plugging in initial conditions or boundary values into the difference equation.

2. How do you solve for undetermined coefficients in difference equations?

To solve for undetermined coefficients, you first need to identify the general solution of the difference equation. Then, you can plug in the initial conditions or boundary values to create a system of equations. Solve this system of equations to find the values of the undetermined coefficients.

3. What is the difference between undetermined coefficients and initial conditions?

Undetermined coefficients are the unknown values used to solve for the particular solution of a difference equation, while initial conditions are specific values given at the start of a difference equation that are used to determine the values of the undetermined coefficients.

4. Can undetermined coefficients be used for all types of difference equations?

Undetermined coefficients can be used for linear difference equations with constant coefficients. They cannot be used for nonlinear difference equations or difference equations with variable coefficients.

5. Why are undetermined coefficients important in solving difference equations?

Undetermined coefficients are important because they allow us to find the particular solution of a difference equation, which is necessary for solving many real-world problems in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.