Can Musical Instruments Be Played Underwater?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of fish becoming famous musicians and whether there are any musical instruments designed for underwater use. Various points are raised, including the fact that most instruments rely on air or vibrations that would be affected by water. However, there are some instruments, such as the SOSNO, that are specifically designed for underwater music. Overall, the conversation suggests that underwater music may be a niche but interesting area of music.
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
i was pondering why no fish have ever become famous musicians :confused: when it occurred to me …

are there any musical instruments designed to be played underwater?

Science news on Phys.org
Do whales count?

magpies said:
Do whales count?

I don't know any whales who are famous musicians :blushing:

but they certainly aren't fish. :wink:

Ok so like would you listen to it underwater or from above? It would have to be really loud to make it from underwater to above I think.

tiny-tim said:
i was pondering why no fish have ever become famous musicians :confused: when it occurred to me …

are there any musical instruments designed to be played underwater?

I've heard of types of gong or bell which are lowered into water or raised up as they are played to create interesting pitch effects.

Wind instruments rely on air. Most other instruments rely on forms of vibration that would be significantly damped (!) by water as well as being completely changed in pitch.

However, see http://danielharrismusic.com/Underwater_Music_I.html" which I just found with a Google search, and in particular the SOSNO instrument, which is mostly electronic (cheating really).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can Musical Instruments Be Played Underwater?

1. What are underwater musical instruments?

Underwater musical instruments are specially designed instruments that can be played underwater. They are typically made from materials that are resistant to water and can produce sound waves that travel through water.

2. How do underwater musical instruments work?

Underwater musical instruments work by producing sound waves that travel through water. This is achieved through various methods such as striking, plucking, or blowing on the instrument. The sound waves travel through the water and can be heard by the human ear.

3. What are some examples of underwater musical instruments?

Some examples of underwater musical instruments include the Hydraulophone, the Sea Organ, and the AquaSonic underwater harp. These instruments use different methods to produce sound waves that travel through water, such as water jets, air bubbles, and strings.

4. How are underwater musical instruments different from regular instruments?

Underwater musical instruments are different from regular instruments in that they are specifically designed to produce sound in water. They are made from materials that are resistant to water and can produce sound waves that travel through water. Regular instruments are not designed for use in water and may not produce sound or may be damaged if used underwater.

5. What are some practical applications of underwater musical instruments?

Underwater musical instruments have several practical applications. They can be used for underwater performances and concerts, as well as for scientific research and education. They can also be used for therapeutic purposes, such as in underwater music therapy sessions. Additionally, they can be used for soundscaping in underwater environments, such as in aquariums or underwater parks.