Understanding X-ray Tube Components: Anode Confusion Explained

In summary: It's possible that the electron path could become blocked. 2) The tungsten insert is supposed to be hit by the beam. 3) In some cases, the tungsten insert can be replaced with a new one.
nousername
Hey,

In an X-ray tube, you know how there is the target where the electrons collide and stuff... and you know how there is the tungsten part and the the copper bit (the tungsten being the one which electrons collide on)... well my book discusses them separately and i am just a bit confused:

1) Are they both anodes? I.e. both are the positive terminal?
2) Which one is referred to as the target? - Is it both or just the tungsten insert?
3) Why is it called the tungsten INSERT? Do we insert it in there or something?
4) Why are they separated? Why can't we just have it all tungsten or all copper?

Thanks

EDIT:

5) Also, why does a lot of heat get generated at the anode? My guess would be because the electrons are hitting the anode... but why does it generate heat when it hits? Why can't all the energy be converted into X-rays? - Apparently over 98% of the energy of the electrons is converted to heat! WHY?

Last edited:
Likes amyrheniumcn
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
We can't really control things at the subatomic level. We just slam the electrons into the target and take what we get. What we get is that most of the energy gets converted into heat and only a little bit gets emitted as X-Rays. People are working on higher efficiency sources, especially for X-ray lithography. Here is one example, but even this is only about 4% efficient:
http://epsppd.epfl.ch/London/pdf/P4_214.pdf

Likes amyrheniumcn
@A.T.

hahaha, yea sorry i have test tomorrow so i can't really do much research. Thanks btw :)

@phyzguy

So how about questions 1-3?

1) what would happen to the electron path, if they collected up a large (-) charge?
2) only the insert is _supposed_ to be hit by the beam
3) in some devices, the insert can be removed, to be replaced with a new one perhaps,
or replaced with an insert made of different material, or with a different shape face.

Related to Understanding X-ray Tube Components: Anode Confusion Explained

1. What is an X-ray tube?

An X-ray tube is a device used in medical imaging to produce X-rays. It works by accelerating electrons from a cathode to a target, causing the electrons to collide with the target and emit X-rays.

2. What is the target in an X-ray tube?

The target in an X-ray tube is a metal plate, usually made of tungsten, that is bombarded by high-speed electrons. This collision produces X-rays, which are then used for medical imaging.

3. How does the target affect the quality of X-rays produced?

The material and thickness of the target can affect the quality of X-rays produced. Tungsten is often used as it has a high atomic number, which means it produces more X-rays. The thickness of the target also determines the energy and penetration of the X-rays produced.

4. What is the difference between the anode and cathode in an X-ray tube?

The cathode is the negatively charged electrode that produces electrons, while the anode is the positively charged electrode that receives the electrons and produces X-rays.

5. Can the target in an X-ray tube be replaced?

Yes, the target in an X-ray tube can be replaced if it becomes damaged or worn out. This is a routine maintenance procedure in medical imaging facilities.