Understanding X Quantum Gate: Act on |i> State?

In summary, the conversation discusses the one-qbit simple quantum gate X and its definition as a linear operator. The question arises about how this gate acts on the |i> state and the difference between a linear operator and measurement in a real quantum computer. It is clarified that quantum gates are not measurements but rather linear operators that transform the basis states in a linear combination. The concept of qubits as a linear combination of two basis states is also mentioned.
markoX
Hi everybody ...
One of the one-qbit simple quantum gate is X which defined by:

X: |0> ----- |1>
|1> ----- |0>

but how does this gate ( unitary operator ) act on |i> state? (i=0 or 1)
I mean at first we have to measure what state is ( 0 or 1) and so flip them but after we know the state, it will calapse to |0> or |1>.
so X|i>=|-i> is not correct according what I said.

Physics news on Phys.org
markoX said:
I mean at first we have to measure what state is ( 0 or 1)
No! Quantum gates aren't measurements* -- they are, as you said, linear operators. So the transformation of a linear combination of basis states is the linear combination of transformed basis states.

(I'm not sure what you mean by the |i> state, can you elaborate? I worry that you have a wrong idea in your head about qubits...)

*: at least not in the sense you're thinking. But that's quite another topic.

yes,I know what you are saying but how does this linear operator made in real quantum computer?

as I learned a qbit is linear combination of two basis like a|0> + b|1> ( |a|^2 + |b|^2 = 1 ).

I can not understand differen between linear operator and measurment as you said?

Related to Understanding X Quantum Gate: Act on |i> State?

1. What is a Quantum Gate?

A Quantum Gate is a fundamental building block of quantum computers, used to manipulate the quantum states of qubits. It is a mathematical operation that can act on a quantum state to produce a desired output state.

2. How does a Quantum Gate work?

A Quantum Gate operates on the superposition of quantum states, which allows it to perform multiple operations simultaneously. It works by changing the probability amplitudes of different states, thus affecting the final output state.

3. What is the significance of the |i> state?

The |i> state, also known as the "ket" state, is a common notation used in quantum mechanics to represent a quantum state. It is used to denote the initial state of a qubit before it is acted upon by a Quantum Gate.

4. Can a Quantum Gate act on multiple qubits at once?

Yes, a Quantum Gate can act on multiple qubits at once, which is what makes quantum computers so powerful. By acting on multiple qubits simultaneously, a Quantum Gate can perform complex operations in a fraction of the time it would take a classical computer.

5. How do we measure the effectiveness of a Quantum Gate?

The effectiveness of a Quantum Gate is measured by its ability to accurately produce the desired output state. This is typically done through various metrics such as fidelity, which measures the similarity between the desired output state and the actual output state produced by the Quantum Gate.