Understanding When to Use + / - in Pythagorean Identity

• Thread starter CrossFit415
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to determine whether to use a positive or negative sign when finding the exact value of a trigonometric function. It is mentioned that the angle and the location of the point on the terminal side are important factors in determining the sign. The use of the Pythagorean Identity is also mentioned. The problem being discussed is to find the exact value of the remaining five trigonometric functions given that tan θ = 1/2 and sin θ < 0. It is concluded that in this case, the angle lies in the third quadrant and therefore the negative value of sec θ should be used.
CrossFit415

Homework Statement

How would I know if let's say

Sec^2 = 5 / 4
Sec = +/- [tex]\sqrt{5/4}[/tex]
Sec = + / - [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex] / 2

Now how would I know if whether to put a negative sign or a positive sign before the answer?

Because the textbook says Sec Theta < 0 therefor they added the negative sign, only.
What does this mean?

How is Sec < 0 if it equals [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex] / 2 ? This is not less than 0 so shouldn't we use a positive symbol?

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, please don't write a trig function without the angle. It's sec θ, not sec.

A trig ratio is positive or negative depending on the angle. Was there any mention of the angle itself, or the location of the point on the terminal side? sec θ = r/x, and if sec θ < 0 then x must be negative. Must be an angle in Quadrant II or III, then.

The title of your thread is "Pythagorean Identity," so I'm guessing you're making use of
1 + tan2θ = sec2θ. Were you told anything about tan2θ? It would have been helpful if you posted the entire problem and not just a piece of it.

I apologize.

"Given that tan θ = 1/2 and sin θ <0, find the exact value of each of the remaining five trigonometric functions of θ."

yes, they used;
1 + (tan^2) θ = (sec^2) θ

as tan is +ve and sin is -ve,the angle lies in the 3rd quadrant where sec is negtive,so u shld take the -ve value

Related to Understanding When to Use + / - in Pythagorean Identity

1. What is the Pythagorean Identity?

The Pythagorean Identity is a mathematical formula that relates the three sides of a right triangle. It states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides.

2. When should I use the + sign in the Pythagorean Identity?

You should use the + sign when you are trying to find the length of the hypotenuse or one of the other two sides of a right triangle. This is because the Pythagorean Identity states that the hypotenuse squared is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, so you need to add the squares of the other two sides to find the value of the hypotenuse.

3. When should I use the - sign in the Pythagorean Identity?

You should use the - sign when you are trying to find the length of one of the other two sides in a right triangle and you know the length of the hypotenuse. This is because you can rearrange the Pythagorean Identity to solve for one of the other two sides by subtracting the square of the known hypotenuse from both sides of the equation.

4. Can the Pythagorean Identity be used for non-right triangles?

No, the Pythagorean Identity only applies to right triangles. It is a special case of the more general Pythagorean Theorem, which can be used for any type of triangle.

5. How can I remember when to use the + or - sign in the Pythagorean Identity?

A helpful mnemonic to remember when to use the + or - sign is the phrase "All Students Take Calculus." The first letters of each word correspond to the signs in the Pythagorean Identity (A for add, S for subtract, T for total, and C for change). This phrase can help you remember that you should use the + sign when finding the hypotenuse (A) or the total length (T), and the - sign when finding the change in length (C) of one of the other two sides.