Understanding Wheatstone Bridge Circuit: How to Solve for Unknown Voltages

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem using Kirchoff's law and equations involving currents and voltages. The person asking for help is unsure about the values of Vbc and Vdc and is trying to solve for these variables. They eventually find the solution, but realize that they made a mistake along the way. They ask for help in understanding where they went wrong and how to fix it, but are unable to download an attachment containing the problem. Another person explains the correct approach to solving the problem.
needhelpperson
How do i solve this? I wasn't given any examples at all. But I've tried to do this.

Iab + Iad = Ibc + Idc <--------- they have to or else Kirchoff's law violated.

so Vab = Vad but I'm not sure if Vbc = Vdc?
i'll continue assuming Vbc = Vdc

Vab/40 + Vad/20 = Vbc/70 + Vdc/50

Va=0.45714286 Vc

Vbd/60+ Vc/50 = Va/20

Vbd = 0.1714286Vc

i thought that Va + Vc + Vbd = 20

solved for Vc and i got Vbd as 2.105263 V

The answer is 0.94V. Obviously i got something wrong here. Can some one explain to me where I went wrong, and how i can fix this. Thanks

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 675
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot download the attachment.Fix it pls

ColdRifle said:
I cannot download the attachment.Fix it pls

There's not anything he can do, since it's "pending approval"..

needhelpperson said:
Iab + Iad = Ibc + Idc <--------- they have to or else Kirchoff's law violetion

Tis is true only if at BD no current passes. moreover Vad=vdc and Vab=Vbc.
the special about that is that Iab=Ibc+Ibd and Iad=Idc+Idb. The one red is positive and the other negative...Since you find the total current that passes through bd you can measure the voltage across it :approve:

Related to Understanding Wheatstone Bridge Circuit: How to Solve for Unknown Voltages

What is a Wheatstone Bridge circuit?

A Wheatstone Bridge circuit is a type of electrical circuit commonly used to measure unknown resistance values. It is made up of four resistors arranged in a diamond shape, with two known resistors on one side and two unknown resistors on the other.

How does a Wheatstone Bridge circuit work?

The Wheatstone Bridge circuit works by comparing the ratio of the two known resistors to the ratio of the two unknown resistors. By adjusting the value of one of the known resistors, the circuit can be balanced, allowing for the calculation of the unknown resistance value.

What are the applications of a Wheatstone Bridge circuit?

Wheatstone Bridge circuits are commonly used in electronic equipment to measure unknown resistance values, such as in strain gauges, thermistors, and pressure sensors. They are also used in laboratories for precise measurement of resistance values.

What are the advantages of using a Wheatstone Bridge circuit?

One of the main advantages of a Wheatstone Bridge circuit is its high accuracy and sensitivity. It can detect small changes in resistance values and is less affected by external factors such as temperature and voltage fluctuations. It also allows for easy adjustment and balancing of the circuit.

Are there any limitations to using a Wheatstone Bridge circuit?

One limitation of a Wheatstone Bridge circuit is that it can only measure resistances within a certain range. If the unknown resistance is too high or too low, the circuit will not be able to accurately measure it. It also requires a power source and may be affected by noise in the environment.