Understanding Well-Defined Tensor on Manifold: Basic Concepts

In summary, a tensor field is well-defined on a manifold if it has a defined tangent space at every point in the manifold.
binbagsss
I'm trying to understand what exactly it means by some tensor field to be 'well-defined' on a manifold. I'm looking at some informal definition of a manifold taken to be composed of open sets ##U_{i}##, and each patch has different coordinates.

The text I'm looking at then talks about how in order for a tensor field to be defined globally there are certain transition laws that must be obeyed in intersecting regions of ##U_{i}##

From this, my interpretation of well-defined is that you have in variance in certain patches, and so because each patch has its own coordinates, you have in variance in any coordinates. So, a tensor means you have invariance with respect to a change in coordinate system?Are these thoughts correct?

Is this literal agreement? I.e- the value of a scalar? the components of a matrix (representing a tensor as a matrix)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To say that something is "well defined" typically means that whatever you have previously said about it is sufficient to actually define it. So you may need to tell us that we what said previously.

I will make a guess based on what you said. I would define a vector field on a smooth manifold ##M## as a function that associates a tangent vector at p with each ##p\in M##. It sounds like their version of this is a function that associates an n-tuple of real numbers with each pair ##(p,x)## such that ##x:U\to\mathbb R^n## is a coordinate system such that ##p\in U\subseteq M##. This type of function indirectly defines a tensor, if and only if for all ##p\in M## and all coordinate systems ##x:U\to\mathbb R^n## and ##y:V\to\mathbb R^n## such that ##p\in U\cap V##, the relationship between the n-tuple associated with ##(p,x)## and the n-tuple associated with ##(p,y)## is given by the tensor transformation law.

Last edited:
Neither coordinates nor the definition of a manifold using an atlas of charts is relevant here. If all you want to do is define what it means for a tensor to be well-defined on a manifold, all you need to consider is the manifold as a point-set; the tensor just has to be defined at every point in the point-set. (Of course, if the tensor has rank>0, then you need enough of the manifold structure to be able to define a tangent space.)

Related to Understanding Well-Defined Tensor on Manifold: Basic Concepts

1. What is a tensor on a manifold?

A tensor on a manifold is a mathematical object that represents the relationship between geometric quantities on a curved surface or space. It is defined as a multidimensional array of numbers that transform in a specific way under coordinate transformations.

2. What are the basic concepts of understanding tensors on manifolds?

The basic concepts of understanding tensors on manifolds include understanding the geometry of a manifold, coordinate systems, tensor fields, and tensor operations such as contraction and multiplication.

3. How are tensors on manifolds different from tensors in Euclidean space?

Tensors on manifolds are different from tensors in Euclidean space because they are defined on a curved surface or space, whereas tensors in Euclidean space are defined on a flat surface or space. This means that the transformation rules for tensors on manifolds are more complex and depend on the curvature of the surface.

4. What are some applications of understanding tensors on manifolds?

Understanding tensors on manifolds is essential in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to describe physical quantities in curved spaces, such as gravity in general relativity, and to analyze and visualize data in higher dimensions.

5. Can you provide an example of a well-defined tensor on a manifold?

Yes, a well-defined tensor on a manifold can be the stress-energy tensor in general relativity, which describes the distribution of mass and energy in a curved space-time. This tensor is crucial in understanding the effects of gravity on the curvature of space-time.