Understanding Vout Waveform and Voltage Ripple in Voltage Multiplier Circuits

In summary, there is a discussion about simulating a voltage multiplier circuit on Pspice simulation package. The output voltage Vout is the main focus, with questions about its waveform and voltage ripple. The circuit in question is the Cockroft Walton voltage multiplier, which uses AC input to produce DC output. The amount of ripple depends on various factors and can be measured using an oscilloscope. It is noted that voltage multipliers increase voltage but decrease current, similar to a transformer.
sean23
I am trying to simulate a voltage multiplier circuit on Pspice simulation package, which will produce an output voltage Vout.

What is the waveform of Vout supposed to look like?
And also how will i work out the voltage ripple of the waveform?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Info ??

Sean you have not given enough info here -- I assume you mean a dc to dc multiplier but there is more than one way of doing this and the results differ.
Ray.

If your talking about a Cockroft Walton voltage multiplier then you put AC in and get DC out. I simulated this in Electronic workbench and used the o-scope to measure ripple, use AC coupling. The amount of ripple depends on a bunch of things, check out this website http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/cw1.htm

cockroft walton voltage multiplier

yes it is the cockroft walton multiplier circuit, putting in an ac source and producing dc.

i have an output waveform but i cannot work out the voltage ripple

cheers guys

hey random question about voltage multipliers (im only posting here because ppl have responded to this as is...lol) although they increase voltage they also decrease current, correct?

Yes. It's sort like a transformer. The power in can't be less than the power out (on a continuous basis). Since P = V*I, the output current must decrease in proportion with the voltage increase.

k, just makin sure. lol

Related to Understanding Vout Waveform and Voltage Ripple in Voltage Multiplier Circuits

1. What is a voltage multiplier circuit?

A voltage multiplier circuit is a type of electronic circuit that is used to multiply the input voltage by a certain factor. It is typically used to generate high voltages from a low voltage power source.

2. How does a voltage multiplier circuit work?

A voltage multiplier circuit works by using a series of diodes and capacitors to charge and discharge the capacitors in a specific pattern. This pattern results in an output voltage that is a multiple of the input voltage.

3. What are the main components of a voltage multiplier circuit?

The main components of a voltage multiplier circuit include diodes, capacitors, and a power source. Some circuits may also include resistors and additional diodes for protection.

4. What are the advantages of using a voltage multiplier circuit?

One of the main advantages of using a voltage multiplier circuit is its ability to generate high voltages from a low voltage power source. It also has a simple design and can be easily constructed with common electronic components.

5. What are some common applications of voltage multiplier circuits?

Voltage multiplier circuits are commonly used in electronic devices that require high voltages such as cathode ray tubes, x-ray machines, and particle accelerators. They can also be used in power supplies for electronic equipment and in voltage multipliers for radio frequency applications.