Understanding Voltage and Capacitance: How Can They Be Measured?

In summary, the voltage of a capacitor is directly proportional to the charge stored on it and inversely proportional to its capacitance. The capacitance can be measured using standard devices such as oscilloscopes and digital voltmeters. For different capacitor designs, the capacitance can be calculated using Gauss Law and other assumptions. In the case of a single conductor, the capacitance can be calculated based on the potential of the conductor with respect to infinity. This potential can be determined using the equation V = Q/(4*pi*epsilon_0*a) for a spherical conductor. However, this interpretation may differ from that of a two plate capacitor, as the electric field lines from a single conductor may end on distant objects, creating a similar effect
fgp40
Hi everybody, I'm new at the forum. I've started learning physics on my school last year.

I've a question.

How can we measure the voltage stated on the definition of capacitance? Just V=Q/C ?

Or how to measure the capacitance? What's about voltage?

I didn't know that Q=C.V. What is that? The definition of capacitance, voltage or electric charge?

Generally I didn't understand that. Can you help me please?

I'm sorry for my bad English.

Physics news on Phys.org
fgp40 said:
Hi everybody, I'm new at the forum. I've started learning physics on my school last year.

I've a question.

How can we measure the voltage stated on the definition of capacitance? Just V=Q/C ?

Or how to measure the capacitance? What's about voltage?

I didn't know that Q=C.V. What is that? The definition of capacitance, voltage or electric charge?

Generally I didn't understand that. Can you help me please?

I'm sorry for my bad English.

Welcome to the PF.

The voltage V of a capacitor is directly proportional to the charge stored on it (Q), and inversely proportional to the capacitance C. Given some capacitance value, if you double the charge on the capacitor, you double the voltage of the capacitor.

You measure the voltage of the capacitor with standard measuring devices, like oscilloscopes and digital voltmeters (DVMs).

fgp40 said:

This is the definition of capacitance. If a capacitor has a potential difference V between its two "plates" when they carry charges +Q and -Q, then its capacitance is C = Q/V.

Thank you for answer. And if the capacitor is a sphere or just a plate? How to know their capacitance? With experiments?

Given the design of the capacitor and the dielectric, one can calculate the capacitance using Gauss Law with some extra assumptions. Its better to think that capacitance depends on the design of the capacitor (e.g size and shape of plates and distance between them and dielectric constant of the dielectric material) and just view the relationship C=Q/V as an additional relationship that connects those 3 physical quantities of charge in plates, voltage between plates and capacitance.

Last edited:
fgp40 said:
And if the capacitor is a sphere or just a plate? How to know their capacitance? With experiments?
Perhaps the place to start is understanding what the capacitance of a single conductor means, in other words how you should interpret Q/V, the defining equation. Q is simply the charge on the conductor and V is the potential of the conductor with respect to infinity. In the case of a sphere, and no doubt for certain other shapes, this potential has a well defined value; for a sphere of radius a it is [itex]V = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 a}[/itex]. So the capacitance of the sphere is [itex]C = \frac{Q}{V} = 4 \pi \epsilon_0 a[/itex].

This interpretation may seem very unlike that for a two plate capacitor. But in fact, it's not so different… The electric field lines from our single, 'isolated conductor' will, in practice, end on negative charges induced on very distant objects. The total negative charge induced is, as Faraday showed, equal in magnitude to the positive charge on the 'single, isolated conductor'. So we can, if we wish, regard such a conductor, plus the distant surroundings, as a 'pair of plates' with equal and opposite charges, and a p.d. between them. Whether this helps is a matter of taste.

Last edited:
OK. Thanks I understood.

Related to Understanding Voltage and Capacitance: How Can They Be Measured?

1. What is voltage and how is it measured?

Voltage is the measure of the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the component or circuit being measured.

2. What is the relationship between voltage and capacitance?

The relationship between voltage and capacitance is described by the equation Q = CV, where Q is the charge stored in the capacitor, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage. This means that the higher the voltage, the more charge can be stored in the capacitor.

3. How does capacitance affect the performance of a circuit?

Capacitance plays an important role in the performance of a circuit. It can affect the speed at which a circuit operates, the stability of the circuit, and the amount of power it consumes. A higher capacitance can result in slower operation and lower stability, while a lower capacitance can lead to faster operation and higher stability.

4. What factors affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is affected by several factors, including the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the type of material used for the dielectric between the plates. The capacitance also increases with the number of plates in a capacitor.

5. How can capacitance be changed or controlled?

Capacitance can be changed or controlled by altering the distance between the plates, changing the surface area of the plates, or using a different material for the dielectric. Additionally, the capacitance can be adjusted by connecting multiple capacitors in series or parallel, or by using variable capacitors with adjustable plates.