Understanding Vector Calculus Proof: Divergence Theorem and Scalar Field

In summary, the given expression is part of a proof involving a scalar field and a closed surface. By rewriting the expression and using the divergence theorem, the right hand side can be shown to be equivalent to the left hand side.
physiks
The following is used as part of a proof I'm trying to understand:

Vf(.A)dV=∫SfA.dS-∫VA.(f)dV
where f is a scalar field, and the surface integral is taken over a closed surface (which presumably encloses the volume).

I'm not sure how to go about proving this. I can see the divergence theorem will come into play at some stage, but the scalar field seems to be in the way to start with. This is probably really simple, I'm a little rusty with my vector calculus.

Clues would be helpful, thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi physiks,
Rewrite your expression like $$\int_V f(\nabla \cdot \mathbf{A}) + \mathbf{A} \cdot (\nabla f)\, dV = \int_S f\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{dS}$$ and work with the left hand side to show the right hand side.

CAF123 said:
Hi physiks,
Rewrite your expression like $$\int_V f(\nabla \cdot \mathbf{A}) + \mathbf{A} \cdot (\nabla f)\, dV = \int_S f\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{dS}$$ and work with the left hand side to show the right hand side.

Got it, thanks!

Related to Understanding Vector Calculus Proof: Divergence Theorem and Scalar Field

1. What is vector calculus proof?

Vector calculus proof is a mathematical technique used to prove theorems and propositions related to vector fields and their operations. It involves using the principles of calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, to manipulate and analyze vector equations.

2. What are the key concepts in vector calculus proof?

The key concepts in vector calculus proof include vectors, vector fields, scalar and vector operations, derivatives, integrals, and theorems such as the fundamental theorem of calculus and the gradient theorem.

3. How is vector calculus proof used in physics and engineering?

Vector calculus proof is used extensively in physics and engineering to model and analyze physical systems, such as fluid flow, electromagnetics, and mechanics. It allows for the precise calculation of quantities such as force, velocity, and electric and magnetic fields.

4. What are some common techniques used in vector calculus proof?

Some common techniques used in vector calculus proof include the use of vector identities, properties of vector operations, the chain rule, and the divergence and Stokes' theorems. These techniques enable the manipulation and simplification of vector equations to arrive at a desired result.

5. How can I improve my skills in vector calculus proof?

To improve your skills in vector calculus proof, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus, particularly in the areas of derivatives and integrals. Practice solving problems and proofs, and familiarize yourself with common vector identities and theorems. Working through examples and seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, can also be helpful in developing your understanding and proficiency in vector calculus proof.