Understanding Vacuum and Index of Refraction in Optics: Exploring the Basics

In summary, the conversation focuses on the concept of vacuum and its definition as empty space with no air molecules or gases. The participants also discuss the pressure in a vacuum and its application in problem-solving. They also touch on the speed of light in a vacuum and its impact on the index of refraction.
AznBoi
can you please explain some of these questions to me? Thanks.

In the PR book, it defines vacuum as empty space and I don't really know what that means. Does it mean that there is nothing (no air molecules, no other gasses, etc.) in that space? (is the atmosphere of space a vacuum also?) I've come across this term in the optics section and i think I remember seeing it in the fluids section. There's no pressure in a vacuum right?

I found a problem on page 312 # 20 that involves a vacuum and I think I used the atmosphere pressure instead of no pressure at all for P_o. So... vacuum is just empty air or does it need to be when an acutal vacuum machine is actually sucking air up? And like when the lids of containers are sealed, do you use vacuum pressure (0) for the P_o inside unless otherwise stated?

Also, just to make sure, the speed of light travels the fastest in a vacuum right? It can never travel any faster in any other material? This will help me remember the index of refraction more because I think the equation is weird since it has the speed of light on the top and not the bottom. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
AznBoi said:
In the PR book, it defines vacuum as empty space and I don't really know what that means. Does it mean that there is nothing (no air molecules, no other gasses, etc.) in that space? (is the atmosphere of space a vacuum also?) I've come across this term in the optics section and i think I remember seeing it in the fluids section. There's no pressure in a vacuum right?
Yes, a vacuum means that there is absolutely nothing there, no air molecules, no gases of any sort. Note that while sound cannot propagate in such conditions, light can.

You ask whether the "atmosphere" of space is a vacuum. Can you better define what an "atmosphere" is?

You ask whether there is no pressure in a vacuum. Can you better define what pressure is?

AznBoi said:
I found a problem on page 312 # 20 that involves a vacuum and I think I used the atmosphere pressure instead of no pressure at all for P_o. So... vacuum is just empty air or does it need to be when an acutal vacuum machine is actually sucking air up? And like when the lids of containers are sealed, do you use vacuum pressure (0) for the P_o inside unless otherwise stated?

What do you mean by "empty air"?
When the lids of containers are sealed, there is no reason to assume there is a vacuum inside unless one is created (ie. by sucking the air out). Do you think your cookies experience a vacuum every time you put on the lid of that jar?

AznBoi said:
Also, just to make sure, the speed of light travels the fastest in a vacuum right? It can never travel any faster in any other material? This will help me remember the index of refraction more because I think the equation is weird since it has the speed of light on the top and not the bottom. Thanks a lot!

Light travels at its fastest in a vacuum, and that speed is known thus as the "speed of light in a vacuum". In any material, light will travel slower as all natural materials have an index greater than 1.

thanks for your help!

Related to Understanding Vacuum and Index of Refraction in Optics: Exploring the Basics

1. What is a vacuum?

A vacuum is an area of space where there is no matter present. It is typically created by removing all air and other particles from a specific space.

2. How is a vacuum used in scientific experiments?

Vacuums are used in scientific experiments to simulate the conditions of outer space or to study the behavior of particles in a controlled environment without interference from air molecules.

3. What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material can bend or refract light. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in a specific material.

4. Why is the index of refraction important?

The index of refraction is important because it determines how light will behave when passing through a material. It affects the angle at which light is bent and can also impact the speed at which light travels through a medium.

5. How does the index of refraction affect the appearance of objects?

The index of refraction can affect the appearance of objects by causing them to appear distorted or bent when viewed through a material with a different index of refraction. This can also create optical illusions, such as the appearance of objects being closer or farther away than they actually are.