Understanding Units of ln Voltage to Logarithmic Quantities

In summary: It's a good question. :smile:But basically, it doesn't make sense to "take the logarithm of anything with dimensions".
jsmith613
If I had a value of 6V and then found the log which is 1.79 (3.s.f) what are the units of this quantitiy? or is it dimensionless?

why?

Physics news on Phys.org
jsmith613 said:
If I had a value of 6V and then found the log which is 1.79 (3.s.f) what are the units of this quantitiy? or is it dimensionless?

why?

Why would you take the log of 6V? You would normally take the log of a dimensionless quantity, like the ratio of 6V/1V, or 6V/1mV.

berkeman said:
Why would you take the log of 6V? You would normally take the log of a dimensionless quantity, like the ratio of 6V/1V, or 6V/1mV.

capacitor equation (exponential equation)
the straight line graph is a log graph - is the value dimensionless or not?

jsmith613 said:
capacitor equation (exponential equation)
the straight line graph is a log graph - is the value dimensionless or not?

What capacitor equation? AFAIK, the quantities in exponents and logarithms are dimensionless. I'm not sure that's always true though.

berkeman said:
What capacitor equation? AFAIK, the quantities in exponents and logarithms are dimensionless. I'm not sure that's always true though.

the equation is V = Voe-t/RC

V and Vo are both measured in volts?

thus the straight line is
ln(V) = ln(Vo) - t/RC

jsmith613 said:

ln(V) = ln(Vo) - t/RC

I don't think that is valid. The more correct way to do it is like this:

V/Vo = e-t/RC

and then take the ln() of both sides. That way the quantity inside the ln() is dimensionless.

RC and t both have the dimensions of time and so the ratio t/RC is dimensionless (and unitless).ln(V) and ln(Vo) must also be dimensionless and unitless for the equation to balance.

Dadface said:
RC and t both have the dimensions of time and so the ratio t/RC is dimensionless (and unitless).ln(V) and ln(Vo) must also be dimensionless and unitless for the equation to balance.

so how can the exponential equaiton be used to predict the voltage at any point in time?

jsmith613 said:
so how can the exponential equaiton be used to predict the voltage at any point in time?

It is used to show you the ratio of the current voltage to the original voltage...

berkeman said:
It is used to show you the ratio of the current voltage to the original voltage...

seems unlikely... my book states the voltage value as a united quantity (i.e: Volt)

jsmith613 said:
seems unlikely... my book states the voltage value as a united quantity (i.e: Volt)

Of course. I'm not sure what the confusion is.

If you want to get the voltage at time t, you just do this:

V(t) = V(0) * V(t)/V(0)

So if you know your ratio is down to 37% of the original voltage, and the original voltage was 2.5V, well, you can do the math...

jsmith613 said:
ln(V) = ln(Vo) - t/RC

berkeman said:
I don't think that is valid. The more correct way to do it is like this:

V/Vo = e-t/RC

and then take the ln() of both sides. That way the quantity inside the ln() is dimensionless.

You can make the first way work out properly by defining a "reference voltage" Vr and then doing something like this:

$$\frac{V}{V_0} = e^{-t/RC}$$
$$ \left( \frac{V}{V_r} \right) \left( \frac{V_r}{V_0} \right) = e^{-t/RC}$$
$$ \left( \frac{V}{V_r} \right) = \left( \frac{V_0}{V_r} \right) e^{-t/RC}$$
$$ \ln \left( \frac{V}{V_r} \right) = ln \left( \frac{V_0}{V_r} \right) - \frac{t}{RC}$$

and then let Vr = 1 volt. This makes V and V0 effectively dimensionless.

It's the ratio that's dimensionless

jsmith613 said:

ln(V) = ln(Vo) - t/RC
It's a good question. :smile:

But basically, it doesn't make sense to "take the logarithm of anything with dimensions".

log (1000 volts) = log (103 volts)

But the logarithm is that 3 up the top; and that exponent is itself dimensionless. (considering log = log10)

Taking the log of a quantity with dimensions makes as much sense as raising 10 to the power of three bananas.

The ln equation as presented in post 6 does make sense.Firstly,the equation could be written as ln(V/Vo)=-t/RC and by writing it this way it is easily seen that the units cancel.Writing the equation as above is the same as writing it as lnV-lnVo=-t/RC and again it is seen that the units cancel.
Secondly,when we take logs we are considering numerical values only eg ln6V is taken as ln6.
I'm guessing that jsmith has been involved with a capacitor discharge experiment.By plotting lnV against t(rather than V against t) you get a straight line graph along with the advantages that brings.

The graph he would be plotting would, strictly be of Vc/V because all graph scales (linear / log/ square) are all dimensionless - or perhaps cms. It just brings the point home when you consider the implications of taking the log of a real quantity.

Examples of the right way to label an axis are:

time/s
distance/m
Voltage/V

all of these are dimensionless.
In School, we start off by putting time(s), distance(m) or Voltage (V) - which are not strictly correct.

Let me clarify my posts above.The equations presented by jsmith in post 6 would be familiar to A level students.A standard experiment carried out in many schools is to charge a capacitor to an initial voltge Vo and then let it discharge through a voltmeter(of high resistance R)whilst taking voltage time readings.Students would be expected to display their results graphically and to be familiar with the exponential reduction of voltage with time as exemplified by a graph of V against t.In addition to this students are encouraged to manipulate equations from all areas of the course so that linear plots can be made.For this experiment they would plot lnV against t.Normally C would be given and they would find R.

Related to Understanding Units of ln Voltage to Logarithmic Quantities

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that describes the relationship between two quantities that change exponentially. It is the inverse of the exponential function, and it is commonly used to measure quantities that vary greatly in magnitude. In simpler terms, it is a way to convert between exponential and linear scales.

How are logarithms used in understanding units of ln voltage?

Logarithms are used in understanding units of ln voltage because they allow for a more manageable way to express the vast range of voltage values found in electronic circuits. By taking the natural logarithm (ln) of a voltage value, it is converted into a dimensionless quantity that can be easily compared and manipulated.

What are the benefits of using logarithmic quantities?

There are several benefits of using logarithmic quantities. One benefit is that they allow for easier visualization and comparison of data that varies greatly in magnitude. They also simplify complex calculations and make it easier to express quantities in a more concise manner. In addition, logarithms are used in many scientific and engineering fields, making it a universal language for communicating and analyzing data.

Can you give an example of how logarithms are used in voltage measurements?

Yes, for example, in electronic circuits, voltage measurements can range from microvolts (µV) to kilovolts (kV). By taking the natural logarithm of these values, they are converted into a more manageable range of values between -infinity and infinity. This makes it easier to represent and analyze the data, as well as perform calculations such as addition and multiplication.

Are there any limitations to using logarithmic quantities?

While logarithmic quantities have many benefits, there are also some limitations to using them. One limitation is that they can only be used for positive values, as the logarithm of a negative number is undefined. Additionally, logarithmic quantities can be more difficult to understand for those who are not familiar with them, and they may not be suitable for all types of data analysis, such as when precise values are needed.