Understanding Uniform Circular Motion to Solving Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment about the motion of shadows and how it is affected by direction of motion. The suggestion is to use a lamp and hand movements to observe the shadow's speed and its relation to simple harmonic motion. The individual asking for help initially had trouble understanding the experiment, but with further explanation, they were able to come to a conclusion about the direction of motion producing the fastest shadow.
Sarina3003
:H:H:H1. Homework Statement
image_zps3dclos4y.jpe

Homework Equations

equations is not needed here

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea :(
Please help me![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
They are asking which shadow is moving the fastest on the ground. What direction of motion produces a moving shadow? Is there a direction of motion that does NOT produce a moving shadow? Maybe you could experiment by watching the shadow your hand makes if you place it directly beneath a source of light.

Edit: P.S. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Thanks for that. However, i don't quite follow you ;(

Sarina3003 said:
You need to be able to attempt the question yourself. We can help you when you get stuck.

Tom has suggested you carry out a simple experiment. It's difficult to see why you can't do that. Do you have a lamp and a table? Can you move your hand in a circle?

Even if not, you should be able to imagine what happens using the diagram you posted.

Sarina3003 said:
Tom's suggested experiment is very easy. With a light overhead, rotate your arm in front of you so that your hand moves in a vertical circle at a constant rate. Watch the shadow. When the shadow is moving most slowly, what is yiur hand doing? What about when the shadow moves fastest?

Edit,.. PeroK pipped me.

Thank you. However it's really hard
to see by naked eyes and my hands could not move at a constant rate eithe. But i think it could be B because i have thought of simple harmonic motion :|. B is equilibrium postion and V is max there , not really relevant but that's the only thing that my brain could say to me :(

Sarina3003 said:
Thank you. However it's really hard
to see by naked eyes and my hands could not move at a constant rate eithe. But i think it could be B because i have thought of simple harmonic motion :|. B is equilibrium postion and V is max there , not really relevant but that's the only thing that my brain could say to me :(
Good reasoning. The horizontal component of motion is indeed SHM.

Likes Sarina3003
Thank you so much!

Related to Understanding Uniform Circular Motion to Solving Problems

What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. The object's velocity is always tangential to the circular path and its acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle.

What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

The main difference is that in uniform circular motion, the object moves at a constant speed, while in non-uniform circular motion, the speed changes at different points along the path. Additionally, the acceleration in uniform circular motion is always directed towards the center, while in non-uniform circular motion, the acceleration may have both tangential and radial components.

What is the centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object moving in a circular motion. It is always perpendicular to the velocity of the object and is responsible for continuously changing its direction.

How is uniform circular motion related to angular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a special case of angular motion, where the object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. The angle swept out by the object in a given time interval is directly proportional to its linear speed and the radius of the circular path.

What are some real-life examples of uniform circular motion?

Some examples include a car driving around a roundabout, a satellite orbiting the Earth, a Ferris wheel, and a spinning top. Any object that moves along a circular path at a constant speed can be considered an example of uniform circular motion.