Understanding Uniform Circular Motion: Exploring Centripetal Acceleration

In summary: So yes, a particle in uniform circular motion does go radially inward due to radial acceleration but it's also going tangential to the circle. In summary, a particle in uniform circular motion experiences a radial component of acceleration, known as centripetal acceleration, which is responsible for changing the direction of its velocity. This results in the particle following a circular path. The net force acting on the particle is radially inward, but due to the tangential direction of its velocity, the particle does not move radially inward. Instead, it continues to move in a circular path due to the combination of speed and acceleration.
andyrk
In uniform circular motion only a radial component of acceleration is present i.e centripetal acceleration. So why doesn't the particle following uniform circular motion go radially inwards due to radial acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration is rate of change of velocity.Velocity is a vector.A change could be due to change in magnitude or change in direction.In uniform circular motion ,only the direction of velocity changes .This centripetal acceleration is responsible for change in the direction of velocity of the object .

To be more clear,draw a velocity vector at time t ,then draw a velocity vector at time t+Δt .See where the difference of the two vectors point .

One thing more,centripetal force mv2/r is not an individual force acting on the object,rather it is the net force acting on the object moving in a circle .It is the same thing as ma in F=ma equation .

I mean to say that if the net force of the particle is radially inward then why doesn't the particle move radially inwards? Thanks for the previous reply though :)

andyrk said:
I
mean to say that
if the net force of the particle is radially inward then why doesn't
the particle move radially inwards? Thanks for the previous reply though
:)
Lets draw a rough sketch.First draw a circle.Then draw a velocity vector(tangential) at time t.Add acceleration vector(radial).Where do you see the resultant velocity? Is it towards the centre or somewhere tangential to the circle ?

Last edited:
Sorry to pinpoint, but how can we add acceleration vector to velocity vector? Isn't vector addition of only like quantities allowed?

andyrk said:
Sorry
to pinpoint,
but how can we add acceleration vector to velocity vector? Isn't vector
addition of only like quantities allowed?

Sorry...I should have been more precise .By adding acceleration ,i meant acceleration times time which has the same dimensions as that of velocity .

You must have encountered the first equation of motion v=u+at. It is a vector equation.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
andyrk said:
Sorry to pinpoint, but how can we add acceleration vector to velocity vector? Isn't vector addition of only like quantities allowed?

What we have is: $$\mathbf{a}(t) = \frac{\mathbf{v_f}(t + \Delta t) - \mathbf{v_i}(t)}{\Delta t} \Rightarrow \mathbf{v_f}(t + \Delta t) = \mathbf{a}(t) \Delta t + \mathbf{v_i}(t)$$

So to get the velocity vector at time t + Δt, take the initial velocity vector at t and do a vector sum with the acceleration vector at t multiplied by some scaling factor (which has the correct dimensions, so as to make the eqn sensible).

Likes 1 person
Referring to other situations of motion

Maybe I haven't understood something what you're trying to say..Ok..so in the equation v=u+at..'t' is 'Δt', 'u' is velocity of the particle 'Δt' time before the time when its velocity is 'v'..'a' is the constant centripetal acceleration..this equation just gives us the direction of vector v by adding vector u to vector at...mathematically as:
[itex]\vec{v}[/itex]=[itex]\vec{u}[/itex]+[itex]\vec{a}[/itex]Δt..so we just get the direction of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]...how does that tell us where is the particle going to move now? Would it be that particle's direction of motion would be the same as the direction of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] i.e tangentially? Then it would try to move tangentially at every point but will not as the velocity keeps changing direction? But this is the same as saying that if we throw a ball upwards it would keep going upwards because of the direction of its velocity which is not the case as particle eventually goes in the direction of the net acceleration which is towards the earth..so even if the velocity as you are saying is tangential still the net acceleration is radially inward and so is the net force...So what's with this circular motion case?

Last edited:
andyrk said:
I mean to say that if the net force of the particle is radially inward then why doesn't the particle move radially inwards? Thanks for the previous reply though :)

Imagine for a second that a particle could continue tangentially. Clearly its radial distance would increase infinitely. But that does not happen because at every instant it gets pulled radially inward.

Likes 2 people
Ok..Thanks!

andyrk said:
In uniform circular motion only a radial component of acceleration is present i.e centripetal acceleration. So why doesn't the particle following uniform circular motion go radially inwards due to radial acceleration?
By definition, if the particle is uniform circular motion, then it's combination of speed and acceleration result in a circular path.

With only centripetal acceleration, you can create just about any path, circle, ellipse, parabola, hyperbola, sine wave, ... . For example the path a car takes on a twisty road while traveling at constant speed.

Related to Understanding Uniform Circular Motion: Exploring Centripetal Acceleration

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object's velocity is constantly changing due to the change in direction, but its speed remains the same.

2. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

The main difference between uniform and non-uniform circular motion is that in uniform circular motion, the speed remains constant while the direction changes, whereas in non-uniform circular motion, both the speed and direction are constantly changing.

3. What is the centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In uniform circular motion, the centripetal force is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for constantly changing the direction of the object's velocity.

4. How is uniform circular motion related to rotational motion?

Uniform circular motion is a special case of rotational motion, where an object is rotating around an axis at a constant speed. In both cases, the object's velocity is constantly changing, but the speed remains the same.

5. What is the difference between tangential speed and angular speed in uniform circular motion?

Tangential speed refers to the speed of an object along its circular path, while angular speed refers to the rate at which the object's angle changes as it moves along the circle. Tangential speed is measured in units of distance per time, while angular speed is measured in units of angle per time.