Understanding Tristram Shandy's Argument About His Autobiography

• Thread starter thinkandmull
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary, the minor writer argues that Tristram Shandy's autobiography covers every day, past, present and future, by defining a function f(x) that is monotonically increasing and covers all days x.
thinkandmull
A minor write stated the following argument about this famous puzzle:

"Tristram Shandy, who writes his autobiography so slowly that he covers only one day of his life in a year of writing. the set of days written about cannot in fact always be a subset of the set of days past. Consider any day n. Suppose Tristram Shandy writes about day n and he finishes writing about day n on day n + m. Then for any day n + i, he finishes writing about n + i on day n + m + 365i. To find the day d on which Tristram Shandy writes about day d, we must solve for i in n + i = n + m + 365i; if the solution is I, then d = n + I = n + m + 365I. The solution is I = -m/364. So d = n -m/364 = n + m -365m/364- or their integral parts, [n -m/364] = [n + m -365m/364.]. On days I later than d, Tristram Shandy writes about his past (about days between days d and I); on day d, he writes about day d; and on days e earlier than d, he writes about his future (about days between days e and d). For any i, day n + i is covered by the end of day n + m + 365i-or, equivalently, any day x, past, present or future, is covered by the end of day f(x) = n + m + 365(x -n), a monotonically increasing function of x."

I am lost as to his argument, but I don't see how his position is correct starting from what he is trying to prove. Can someone help me with his argument here?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
thinkandmull said:
A minor write stated the following argument about this famous puzzle:

"Tristram Shandy, who writes his autobiography so slowly that he covers only one day of his life in a year of writing. the set of days written about cannot in fact always be a subset of the set of days past. Consider any day n. Suppose Tristram Shandy writes about day n and he finishes writing about day n on day n + m. Then for any day n + i, he finishes writing about n + i on day n + m + 365i. To find the day d on which Tristram Shandy writes about day d, we must solve for i in n + i = n + m + 365i; if the solution is I, then d = n + I = n + m + 365I. The solution is I = -m/364. So d = n -m/364 = n + m -365m/364- or their integral parts, [n -m/364] = [n + m -365m/364.]. On days I later than d, Tristram Shandy writes about his past (about days between days d and I); on day d, he writes about day d; and on days e earlier than d, he writes about his future (about days between days e and d). For any i, day n + i is covered by the end of day n + m + 365i-or, equivalently, any day x, past, present or future, is covered by the end of day f(x) = n + m + 365(x -n), a monotonically increasing function of x."

I am lost as to his argument, but I don't see how his position is correct starting from what he is trying to prove. Can someone help me with his argument here?
The argument seems to be for the proposition that every day, past, present and future is eventually covered in the autobiography. It accepts without comment the notion that in the year prior to his birth, Tristram was writing about the day prior to his birth.

That understanding may be faulty. After all, it hardly seems necessary to introduce variables i, d, n, m and l in order to phrase an argument that f(x) = x/365 is bijective.

Related to Understanding Tristram Shandy's Argument About His Autobiography

1. What is the main argument of Tristram Shandy's autobiography?

The main argument of Tristram Shandy's autobiography is that an individual's life story cannot be told in a linear and chronological manner. Shandy believes that human experiences and memories are too complex and interconnected to be presented in a traditional narrative structure.

2. How does Tristram Shandy support his argument?

Tristram Shandy uses a variety of literary devices, such as digressions, non-linear timelines, and self-reflexivity, to support his argument. He also incorporates humor and satire to emphasize the absurdity of attempting to tell a complete and accurate life story.

3. What is the significance of Tristram Shandy's argument?

Tristram Shandy's argument challenges traditional notions of autobiography and the idea that a person's life can be neatly summarized and understood. It also highlights the limitations of language and storytelling in capturing the complexity of human experiences.

4. Is Tristram Shandy's argument still relevant today?

Yes, Tristram Shandy's argument is still relevant today as it raises questions about the nature of memory, storytelling, and the construction of personal identity. In a world where people often curate and present their lives on social media, Shandy's argument serves as a reminder that there is no single, objective truth to one's life story.

5. How does Tristram Shandy's argument impact the way we understand autobiographies?

Tristram Shandy's argument challenges the idea that autobiographies should be presented in a straightforward and factual manner. It encourages readers to critically examine the construction and interpretation of autobiographical narratives and to consider the role of the author in shaping their own story.