Understanding Trigonometric Functions and Their Geometric Meaning

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about the geometric meaning of trigonometric functions and why they can be negative for certain angles. It is explained that these functions are not limited to only right triangles, but can also be defined in terms of coordinates on the unit circle. The x-coordinate represents the cosine of the angle and the y-coordinate represents the sine of the angle. This explanation is provided by Mark44.
ViolentCorpse
I'm not sure if this is the correct section for this thread since this isn't homework, but my question is very basic, so I think this section is suitable.

I have two questions regarding the trigonometric functions (sinx,cosx,tanx etc).

1) What is the geometric meaning (i.e in the context of a right-angle triangle) of functions like cos(180°) or any of the trigonometric functions with an obtuse angle? I mean a right-angle triangle can not contain an obtuse angle so I don't understand how we can have ratios of two sides of a right-triangle that isn't even a right-triangle to begin with (if that makes any sense)?

2) Why are these functions negative for some angles? Since these are just ratios of any two lengths of a right-triangle and lengths usually aren't negative.

Pardon my ignorance and thank you for your precious time! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
ViolentCorpse said:
I'm not sure if this is the correct section for this thread since this isn't homework, but my question is very basic, so I think this section is suitable.

I have two questions regarding the trigonometric functions (sinx,cosx,tanx etc).

1) What is the geometric meaning (i.e in the context of a right-angle triangle) of functions like cos(180°) or any of the trigonometric functions with an obtuse angle? I mean a right-angle triangle can not contain an obtuse angle so I don't understand how we can have ratios of two sides of a right-triangle that isn't even a right-triangle to begin with (if that makes any sense)?

2) Why are these functions negative for some angles? Since these are just ratios of any two lengths of a right-triangle and lengths usually aren't negative.

Pardon my ignorance and thank you for your precious time! :)
The trig functions are not limited to angles in right triangles. They are defined in terms of the coordinates of points on the unit circle. The angle is the one between two rays: the ray from (0, 0) to (1, 0), and another ray from the origin to an arbitrary point on the unit circle. The x-coordinate of this point is the cosine of the angle, and the y-coordinate of this point is the sine of the angle. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_circle.

Likes 1 person
Oh. That was very helpful. Thanks a lot, Mark44! :)

Related to Understanding Trigonometric Functions and Their Geometric Meaning

1. What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides. They include sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant.

2. What is the unit circle and how does it relate to trigonometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin of a coordinate system. It is used to visualize and understand the relationships between trigonometric functions and angles. The coordinates of points on the unit circle correspond to the values of trigonometric functions at specific angles.

3. How are trigonometric functions used in real life?

Trigonometric functions have a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to model and analyze periodic phenomena, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves, and to solve problems involving angles and distances.

4. What is the difference between sine and cosine?

Sine and cosine are both trigonometric functions, but they have different definitions and properties. Sine is defined as the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle, while cosine is defined as the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse. Sine is an odd function, while cosine is an even function.

5. How do I solve trigonometric equations?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you can use algebraic manipulation, trigonometric identities, and the unit circle. It is also important to understand the properties and graphs of trigonometric functions. Practice and familiarity with common trigonometric equations is key to solving them efficiently.