Understanding the Weak Interaction: What Causes It & What is Its Range?

In summary, the range of a force is a concept from QFT that explains why it happens. The Electroweak theory has a very elegant foundation based on gauge symmetry, but we don't know why it is true.
mokeejoe5
Recently it struck me that I'm not sure I understand the weak interaction at all. What causes it to happen? I know that its mediated by the W and Z bosons and has a short range as a result of the large mass these bosons posses, but what does that range refer to? Range from what?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Its a predicted by the electroweak theory so your query is - why is the electroweak theory true.

The answer is - we don't know.

That said what is called gauge invariance has shed a lot of light on it, to the point gauge symmetry is considered to lie at the foundation of all the fundamental interactions of the standard model:
http://pauli.uni-muenster.de/tp/fileadmin/lehre/skripte/muenster/Gauge-theories.pdf

The range of a force is a concept from QFT. If the force carrier has zero mass you get an inverse square law like EM and gravity - such is called long range. If they have mass then it falls off quicker than inverse square (if I recall correctly exponentially - but don't hold me to it) and are called short range.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Its a predicted by the electroweak theory so your query is - why is the electroweak theory true.

The answer is - we don't know.

That said what is called gauge invariance has shed a lot of light on it, to the point gauge symmetry is considered to lie at the foundation of all the fundamental interactions of the standard model:
http://pauli.uni-muenster.de/tp/fileadmin/lehre/skripte/muenster/Gauge-theories.pdf

The range of a force is a concept from QFT. If the force carrier has zero mass you get an inverse square law like EM and gravity - such is called long range. If they have mass then it falls off quicker than inverse square (if I recall correctly exponentially - but don't hold me to it) and are called short range.

Thanks
Bill

So we don't know what causes it only that it happens? Why assign a range to it then, surely that's meaningless? I ask because I watched a video on YouTube that claimed its caused by bosons inside neutrinos ,when they get within a certain range, interacting with quarks in hadrons, and I was pretty sure that wasn't the case.

mokeejoe5 said:
So we don't know what causes it only that it happens? Why assign a range to it then, surely that's meaningless? I ask because I watched a video on YouTube that claimed its caused by bosons inside neutrinos ,when they get within a certain range, interacting with quarks in hadrons, and I was pretty sure that wasn't the case.

Of course we know what causes it - it is explained by the Electroweak theory. What we don't know is why the electroweak theory is true - it just is. However gauge symmetry gives it a very elegant foundation - but the question then is - why is gauge symmetry true - it very elegant and beautiful - which is aesthetically pleasing - but that doesn't tell us why. In science there are always unexplained things. If you explain some thing in terms of other things then all you have done is have a different foundation.

I don't know anything about bosons inside neutrinos etc. It quite possible you have come across some crank claims, but usually cranks don't make videos so I think its just something that was misinterpreted.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Understanding the Weak Interaction: What Causes It & What is Its Range?

1. What is the weak interaction in physics?

The weak interaction is one of the four fundamental forces in nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong nuclear force. It is responsible for the radioactive decay of subatomic particles and plays a crucial role in the processes that occur within the nuclei of atoms.

2. What causes the weak interaction?

The weak interaction is caused by the exchange of particles called W and Z bosons between particles that have weak charges, such as quarks and leptons. The W boson carries a positive or negative charge, while the Z boson has no charge.

3. How does the weak interaction affect matter?

The weak interaction affects matter by causing particles to change into other particles through radioactive decay. It also plays a role in the fusion reactions that power the sun and other stars, and in the processes that occur during the early stages of the universe's formation.

4. What is the range of the weak interaction?

The range of the weak interaction is very short, only about 10^-18 meters. This is much smaller than the range of the other fundamental forces, which can extend over much larger distances. This short range is due to the large mass of the W and Z bosons that mediate the weak interaction.

5. How is the weak interaction related to the other fundamental forces?

The weak interaction is related to the other fundamental forces through the theory of electroweak unification. This theory shows that the weak interaction and electromagnetism were once unified as a single force at high energies, and they became separate forces as the universe cooled and expanded. The strong nuclear force is also believed to have been unified with the electroweak force at even higher energies.