Understanding the Wave Function: Time, Distance, and Confusion Explained

In summary: I was just trying to make a point that the length of the snapshot does not necessarily have to be 1 or 2.I know it can...I was just trying to make a point that the length of the snapshot does not necessarily have to be 1 or 2.This is not a response to your question. You said "repeating snapshots, regardless of the "length of the snapshot" is an EXPLICIT indication of a time dependent operation? Why have you ignored that?" Do you have any evidence to support that claim?
Sobhan
i don't understand why wave is a function of both time and distance and i think one is enough.can some one explain that to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
A function of distance only is static - it just sits there. If you graph it, it looks the same no matter at what time you graph it. But suppose you want a function that looks different at different times. A traveling wave is like that. It's helpful to plot, say, ## \cos(x-2t) ## at times ## t = 0 ##, ## t = 1 ##, etc. You will get a cosine wave that travels toward the right.

Also, remember that you can shift a function ## f ## to the right by ## c ## if you stuff ## x - c ## in as the argument. So ## f(x-c) ## looks just like ## f(x) ##, but shifted over to the right by ## c ##. Similarly, ## \cos(x-2t) ## is the same as ## \cos(x) ## but shifted to the right by ## 2t ##, and the amount of the shift depends on how much time has passed in this case.

You can see a couple of examples of how x and t "interact" in a wave equation in this post:

What exactly does 'x-vt' mean in the wave equation?

(You'll have to draw your own graphs to illustrate it. It's a good exercise.)

Sobhan said:
i don't understand why wave is a function of both time and distance and i think one is enough.can some one explain that to me?

That doesn't make any sense, and you offered zero explanation why you think it is so.

Let's say I can see this wave and I take a snapshot of it at a particular time. If I see "wavy pattern", that is a pattern at a FIXED time (i.e. no time variation), but instead, a wave pattern in SPACE, i.e. as a function of position.

But what if I sit at a particular location, and simply detect this wave, as it I hold an antenna? In this case, I am at a fixed location (i.e. no space variation), but instead, I am detecting the wave pattern IN TIME , i.e. as a function of time!

So now, explain to me why you think it is enough to simply have only one dependent variable here.

Zz.

Well it does not need to be TIME, but it does need to be 2 (or more) variables.

Sobhan said:
You solve time-dependent Schroedinger equation to get eigenfunctions, so, eigenfunctions is a function of space and time. Arbitrary wavefunction may be constructed from those time and space dependent eigenfunctions, so, arbitrary wavefunction must also be a function of space and time. Conclusion is, it is all caused by the Schroedinger equation.
Windadct said:
These two or more variables (at most 4) must include time.

I am reading this as a much simpler question, a wave is a pattern, and can occur in two (non time) dimensions. y=sin(x) - haha - but did not realize which forum it was. Still - something like electron probability is essentially a static evaluation, regardless of time.

Windadct said:
I am reading this as a much simpler question, a wave is a pattern, and can occur in two (non time) dimensions. y=sin(x)
You must be confusing "oscillation" and "wave".

What I have been told is not to imagine it as a snake moving and consider it as repeating snapshots.i don't understand what can the length of the snapshot.

Windadct said:

This is the known wave equation:

[tex]\
Sobhan said:
What I have been told is not to imagine it as a snake moving and consider it as repeating snapshots.i don't understand what can the length of the snapshot.

1. Who told you this?

2. "repeating snapshots" is EXACTLY an example of a TIME-DEPENDENT operation, or are you not seeing this?

Zz.

My question is that the length of this snapshot is 1 or 2 or ...

Sobhan said:
My question is that the length of this snapshot is 1 or 2 or ...

What is this "length of this snapshot is 1 or 2..."? What do you define as "length of a snapshot"? The length of exposure? Or the length BETWEEN snapshots? What is "1 or 2"? Do those have units? Can you spend some time and effort (i.e more than 1 dimension) to provide a clear and more complete explanation?

What about my point that repeated snapshots, regardless of the "length of the snapshot" is an EXPLICIT indication of a time dependent operation? Why have you ignored that?

Zz.

I know it can be a function of location or time but I can not get it been function of location and time together.
I meant length of the snapshot and 1,2 can be in meters or any other length unit.

Sobhan said:
I know it can be a function of location or time but I can not get it been function of location and time together.

What do you mean that you "cannot get" that it is a function of location and time? You SOLVE the differential equation, and there you have it! What exactly is it that you do not get?

This is the unambiguous definition of the "wave equation":

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/WaveEquation.html

It is not negotiable. When you walk up to a mathematician, an engineer, or a physicist, and you mention the wave equation, this is the FORM that everyone agrees upon! Now, how do you propose to solve this equation using one variable but without the other? There's no "getting it"! It just is!

Is this really an issue of solving a differential equation with multiple variables? Because if it is, then you'd better bail out now, because you'll see differential equation with MORE than just 2 dependent variables. If this is the source of your problem, then you have a problem with the mathematics, not physics.

Zz.

Related to Understanding the Wave Function: Time, Distance, and Confusion Explained

1. What is the wave function?

The wave function is a mathematical representation of the probability of finding a particle at a certain position in space and time. It is used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

2. How does the wave function change over time?

The wave function is governed by the Schrödinger equation, which describes how it evolves over time. This equation takes into account the potential energy of the particle and any external forces acting on it.

3. How is the wave function related to distance?

The wave function is a function of both time and space, meaning that it describes the probability of finding a particle at a specific position in space at a specific time. As the particle moves through space, the wave function changes accordingly.

4. Why is the wave function sometimes confusing?

The wave function can be confusing because it is a mathematical concept that does not have a direct physical interpretation. It is a tool used to make predictions about the behavior of particles, but it does not have a tangible physical meaning.

5. How does the wave function relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. The wave function is related to this principle because it describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain position, but it cannot predict the exact position of the particle due to the inherent uncertainty in quantum mechanics.