Understanding the Voltage Equation for a Separately Excited DC Motor

In summary, the conversation discusses the voltage equation for a separately excited dc motor, which is given as Vt = Ea + IaRa. The discrepancy between this equation and the class notes is addressed, and it is determined that Vt should be equal to Va, which represents the voltage drop over the entire armature. This is consistent with the hand-drawn diagram, which shows the coils of the armature as a pure inductor and resistor in the equivalent circuit.
theone

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the textbook diagram of a separately excited dc motor, the voltage equation for the armature circuit is given as

##V_t=E_a + I_aR_a##

But in the class notes, it says ##V_t = V_a##
Firstly, I don't know if the ##V_a## refers to the induced armature voltage ##E_a## or the ##I_aR_a##.

But either way, according to the voltage equation, shouldn't the two not be equal?

Attachments

• Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    2 KB · Views: 418
  • Untitled4.png
    Untitled4.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
From the hand-drawn diagram, it's pretty clear that ##V_a = E_a + I_aR_a##.

The coils of the armature is represented by a pure inductor and a resistor in the equivalent circuit.
Going round the circuit we come to the conclusion that the supply voltage Vt is

Vt = Ea + Ia Ra

where Ea is the voltage over the pure inductor.
Next they introduce a "new" variable, the voltage drop over the armature as a whole Va .
Clearly this has to be equal to the supply voltage Vt .

Related to Understanding the Voltage Equation for a Separately Excited DC Motor

1. What is a DC motor and how does it work?

A DC motor is a type of electrical motor that converts direct current (DC) electrical energy into mechanical energy. It works by using the interaction between the magnetic fields of a permanent magnet and an electromagnet to produce rotational motion.

2. What are the main parts of a DC motor?

The main parts of a DC motor include a stator (permanent magnet), an armature (electromagnet), a commutator, and brushes. The stator provides a fixed magnetic field, while the armature rotates within the stator's magnetic field. The commutator and brushes help to switch the direction of the current in the armature, causing it to rotate.

3. How do I determine the speed and torque of a DC motor?

The speed and torque of a DC motor are determined by the voltage and current supplied to the motor. The speed is directly proportional to the voltage, while the torque is directly proportional to the current. Additionally, the type and size of the motor also play a role in determining the speed and torque.

4. What are the advantages of using a DC motor?

Some of the advantages of using a DC motor include high starting torque, easy speed control, and simple construction. DC motors are also efficient, reliable, and have a long lifespan. They are also commonly used in applications that require precise control of speed and torque.

5. How do I maintain a DC motor?

To maintain a DC motor, it is important to regularly clean and lubricate the motor's moving parts. The brushes should also be checked and replaced if worn out. Additionally, the motor's electrical connections should be inspected for any loose or damaged wires. It is also recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and to have the motor serviced by a professional if needed.