Understanding the Sun's Role in Warming the Earth

In summary: Light can be considered either as a particle or a wave.Depending on what we are trying to achieve sometimes it's best to consider light as photons, other situations make more sense to consider EM as waves.The relationship of these two distict ways to view EM, both of which are valid, is what lies at the heart of quantum mechanics.So, in summary, the sun emits photons which heat the Earth.
Mohan Nivas
The sun radiates its energy in all directions by emitting photons. As the photons travel as electromagnetic waves it reaches the earth. The photons collide with atoms and molecules in the atmosphere due the collision the energy of photons are emitted as heat. The atmosphere is thus heated and it heats the surface too. Thus the sun warms the earth...

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

So, that all sounded about right; did you have a question about any of it?

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

So, that all sounded about right; did you have a question about any of it?
NO

Much of the sun's radiation reaches the surface of the Earth directly, while only a fraction heats up the air.

Likes davenn
The photons not only collide with atmospheric molecules it also collides with the surface... In atmosphere the photons are free to move so most of the photons reaches the surface... Hence it collides more in surface and produce more heat in surface... Thus the most of radiation reaches the surface...:-)

Mohan Nivas said:
The photons not only collide with atmospheric molecules it also collides with the surface... In atmosphere the photons are free to move so most of the photons reaches the surface... Hence it collides more in surface and produce more heat in surface... Thus the most of radiation reaches the surface...:-)

forget about individual photons ... its going to lead you down a bad path of confusion

Do you understand that it is infra red that is the primary cause of heating ?

davenn said:
forget about individual photons ... its going to lead you down a bad path of confusion

Do you understand that it is infra red that is the primary cause of heating ?
Bro, infrared is an electromagnetic wave which is due to the photons... infrared is the cause for heat.. Not only the infrared, ultraviolet can also produce heat.. That's why I had said photons are cause for the heat which are the basic constituents of all electromagnetic radiations... Is there anything u want to say...?

Good that you sort of know what IR is ... your previous posts didn't hint at that, hence why I asked
just to get you on the right path, EM isn't due to photons
yes I repeat ... in this context, forget about the individual photons stuff, just stick to EM radiation/waves

Likes Mohan Nivas
Hmm...
But I heard that EM are due to photons...!
Is it wrong...?

Light can be considered either as a particle or a wave.
Depending on what we are trying to achieve sometimes it's best to consider light as photons, other situations make more sense to consider EM as waves.
The relationship of these two distict ways to view EM, both of which are valid, is what lies at the heart of quantum mechanics.

Likes Mohan Nivas
U r
rootone said:
Depending on what we are trying to achieve sometimes it's best to consider light as photons, other situations make more sense to consider EM as waves.
The relationship of these two distict ways to view EM, both of which are valid, is what lies at the heart of quantum mechanics.
absolutely rit I think.

Actually photons r amazing and mysterious thing... Which acts like both wave and particle...

Likes Mohan Nivas
rootone said:
I believe I understand what you are getting at, but I STRONGLY disagree with your statement as written. Light is NOT a particle and light is NOT a wave. Light is a quantum object that has both particle-like characteristics and wave-like characteristics. Particles and waves are classical physics objects and light is not either one.

I assume that this is what you actually mean (that it "acts" like one or the other, not that it "is" one or the other).

I.
phinds said:
I believe I understand what you are getting at, but I STRONGLY disagree with your statement as written. Light is NOT a particle and light is NOT a wave. Light is a quantum object that has both particle-like characteristics and wave-like characteristics. Particles and waves are classical physics objects and light is not either one.

I assume that this is what you actually mean (that it "acts" like one or the other, not that it "is" one or the other).[/QUOTE
phinds said:

I assume that this is what you actually mean (that it "acts" like one or the other, not that it "is" one or the other).
I had not say that they act like one or other I mean to say they possesses both characters

Related to Understanding the Sun's Role in Warming the Earth

1. How does the Sun warm the Earth?

The Sun warms the Earth through a process called radiation. The Sun emits light and heat energy, which travels through space and reaches the Earth. This energy is then absorbed by the Earth's surface and atmosphere, causing it to warm up.

2. What type of energy does the Sun produce to warm the Earth?

The Sun produces both light and heat energy through a process called nuclear fusion. In the Sun's core, hydrogen atoms are fused together to form helium, releasing huge amounts of energy in the form of light and heat.

3. How does the Earth's atmosphere help to trap the Sun's heat?

The Earth's atmosphere contains gases such as carbon dioxide, water vapor, and methane, which act as a greenhouse by trapping some of the Sun's heat. This helps to keep the Earth's surface warm enough to support life.

4. Does the Sun's warmth affect the Earth's climate?

Yes, the Sun's warmth plays a significant role in the Earth's climate. Changes in the Sun's energy output can impact the Earth's temperature and weather patterns, leading to changes in climate over long periods of time.

5. How does the Sun's warmth impact life on Earth?

The Sun's warmth is essential for life on Earth. It provides the energy needed for photosynthesis in plants, which is the basis of the food chain. It also helps to regulate the Earth's temperature, making it possible for a wide variety of organisms to thrive on our planet.