Understanding the Stationary Electron: Impact on Magnetic Fields

• Thread starter sahil_time
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, the answer to the first question is yes, the magnetic needle will show deflection if a person moves past a stationary electron with velocity V. However, the answer to the second question is no, the magnetic needle will not show deflection if a person moves parallel to a moving electron with the same constant velocity as the electron. This is because motion is relative and all frames will see the same effect. Additionally, electric and magnetic fields are intimately linked, so what one frame may attribute to a magnetic field, another frame may attribute to an electric field. Therefore, in the scenario described, both observers will agree on the deflection of the magnetic needle.
sahil_time
The Stationary Electron!

Q1)Imagine a stationary electron(I mean the one with 0 Kinetic Energy)
Now if i go past it with a velocity V Then will my magnetic needle show any deflection?
Q2)If there is a moving electron and i move parallel to it with a constant velocity as that of the electron then will my magnetic needle show any deflection?

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes to the first question, no to the 2nd question. You must have movement relative to the electron.

For the electron to have zero momentum, it would have an undefined position so you could never go past it!

varialectio said:
For the electron to have zero momentum, it would have an undefined position so you could never go past it!

What? Of course you could. Imagine the reverse, the electron has all the momentum and you are stationary. You can easily say that's the actual case here.

varialectio said:

As often is the case in many of these questions, let's put the level of complexity into context here. I'm guessing that the OP is simply tackling this based on CLASSICAL E&M scenario. Let's not invoke other things and make it more complex than it is.

Zz.

Drakkith said:
Yes to the first question, no to the 2nd question. You must have movement relative to the electron.

But only a moving electron with some KE can generate a magnetic field so how does a stationary electron produce a magnetic field?

I think the idea here would be that moving is relative. So you will observe different effects in different reference frames.

Disinterred said:
I think the idea here would be that moving is relative. So you will observe different effects in different reference frames.

Is that possible? I mean in one frame there is No field and in the other There is, even if the Electron in stationary!

sahil_time said:
But only a moving electron with some KE can generate a magnetic field so how does a stationary electron produce a magnetic field?
It doesn't.
Disinterred said:
Yes, motion is relative. But all frames will see the same effect--if one frame sees the needle deflect, all frames will.

Note that electric and magnetic fields are intimately linked. What one frame will attribute to a magnetic field, another frame will attribute to an electric field.

See my comments in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=488289

Doc Al said:
It doesn't.

Yes, motion is relative. But all frames will see the same effect--if one frame sees the needle deflect, all frames will.

Note that electric and magnetic fields are intimately linked. What one frame will attribute to a magnetic field, another frame will attribute to an electric field.

See my comments in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=488289

So What is the anwer to these

Now if i go past it with a velocity V Then will my magnetic needle show any deflection?
Q2)If there is a moving electron and i move parallel to it with a constant velocity as that of the electron then will my magnetic needle show any deflection?

sahil_time said:
So What is the anwer to these
My answers are the same as those already given by Drakkith.
Yes.
No.

Realize that these are different situations, since the relative speed of electron and needle are different.

Thank You!

Doc Al said:
My answers are the same as those already given by Drakkith.

Yes.

No.

Realize that these are different situations, since the relative speed of electron and needle are different.

Ok let us assume that someone is at rest with respect to one stationary electron in the universe. He has a compass. Question: What will be the deflection ? Probably None ?

Now some where far far away, which the previous person does not know, another person is drifting with a relative velocity. Now he has a deflection, which means that even the first person will have a needle deflecting. So he will know that he is not the only person in the universe, and that someone else is drifting at some velocity? Is this true?

Is this a valid question on the whole?

sahil_time said:
Now some where far far away, which the previous person does not know, another person is drifting with a relative velocity. Now he has a deflection, which means that even the first person will have a needle deflecting.
Why would the first person see a deflection? That person is not moving with respect to the electron.

sahil_time said:
Ok let us assume that someone is at rest with respect to one stationary electron in the universe. He has a compass. Question: What will be the deflection ? Probably None ?

Now some where far far away, which the previous person does not know, another person is drifting with a relative velocity. Now he has a deflection, which means that even the first person will have a needle deflecting. So he will know that he is not the only person in the universe, and that someone else is drifting at some velocity? Is this true?

Is this a valid question on the whole?

The 1st person's needle still does not deflect, while the 2nd person's does. Both observers will agree on this.

Doc Al said:
It doesn't.

All frames will see the same effect?

sahil_time said:
All frames will see the same effect?
To repeat what Drakkith already stated:

The first person's needle does not deflect (as his velocity relative to the electron is zero); both observers agree that the first person's needle does not deflect.

The second person's needle does deflect (as his velocity relative to the electron is non-zero); both observers agree that the second person's needle does deflect.

Doc Al said:
To repeat what Drakkith already stated:

The first person's needle does not deflect (as his velocity relative to the electron is zero); both observers agree that the first person's needle does not deflect.

The second person's needle does deflect (as his velocity relative to the electron is non-zero); both observers agree that the second person's needle does deflect.

Doc Al, i think i totally misinterpreted when you said " But all frames will see the same effect--if one frame sees the needle deflect, all frames will" I thought at first, that you meant that if one frame has a needle that deflects, needles in all frames will deflect. I am sure you did not mean that.
But it does mean that the observation in one frame by the observer of that frame, will be agreed upon by other observers in different frames no matter what their observation is, of their own frames.
Is it not true?

sahil_time said:
But it does mean that the observation in one frame by the observer of that frame, will be agreed upon by other observers in different frames no matter what their observation is, of their own frames.
Is it not true?

Yes.

sahil_time said:
Doc Al, i think i totally misinterpreted when you said " But all frames will see the same effect--if one frame sees the needle deflect, all frames will" I thought at first, that you meant that if one frame has a needle that deflects, needles in all frames will deflect. I am sure you did not mean that.
No I did not mean. There is a bit of semantic ambiguity in my statement, which I apologize for. (If a particular needle deflects, then all observers will see that needle deflecting.) I hope things are now clear.

Is it not true?
Absolutely.

It seems to me it might still not be clear to the original poster that it is possible for the magnetic field to be zero in one reference frame while also be non-zero in a different reference frame and that's why different observers might see their needles behave in different ways. What is a pure electric field for one observer might be a combined electric and magnetic field for another observer.

dauto said:
It seems to me it might still not be clear to the original poster that it is possible for the magnetic field to be zero in one reference frame while also be non-zero in a different reference frame and that's why different observers might see their needles behave in different ways. What is a pure electric field for one observer might be a combined electric and magnetic field for another observer.

No, it is more or less clear, but it seems puzzling when read for the first time. Maybe i will get used

to it.

Related to Understanding the Stationary Electron: Impact on Magnetic Fields

1. What is a stationary electron?

A stationary electron refers to an electron that is not in motion and is at rest in a specific location. In other words, it is an electron that has zero velocity.

2. How does a stationary electron impact magnetic fields?

A stationary electron has an electric charge and therefore, creates an electric field. This electric field interacts with the magnetic field, causing a force on the electron. This force results in the electron moving in a circular path, causing a change in the direction of the magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as the Lorentz force.

3. Why is understanding the stationary electron important in relation to magnetic fields?

Understanding the behavior of stationary electrons is crucial in many areas of science, particularly in electromagnetism and electronics. It allows us to explain and predict the behavior of magnetic fields and to design and develop devices such as generators, motors, and MRI machines.

4. Can a stationary electron generate a magnetic field?

Yes, a stationary electron can generate a magnetic field. As mentioned earlier, the electric field created by the stationary electron interacts with the magnetic field, causing a change in direction and strength. Therefore, the stationary electron contributes to the overall magnetic field in the area.

5. How does the motion of an electron affect its impact on magnetic fields?

The motion of an electron affects its impact on magnetic fields in various ways. A moving electron can generate a stronger magnetic field compared to a stationary electron. Additionally, the direction and speed of the electron's motion can also influence the direction and strength of the magnetic field it creates. Moreover, the motion of the electron can also determine its interaction with the external magnetic field and the resulting force it experiences.