Understanding the Spatial Accuracy of Track Detectors

In summary, the question is about the origin of the sqrt(12) term in the spatial accuracy formula for track detectors. The answer lies in the use of statistics, specifically the uniform distribution, where the term represents the standard deviation.
McCuack
Hi

please forgive me if you find that this is not the correct place, but since my work is of experimental nuclear physics and I didn't find a sub.forum in math neither engineering I decide to post here.

Here is the question:

in any track detector, the spatial accuracy of the detector is σ=pitch/sqrt(12) where the pitch is the separation between two wires/fibers/etc, but where the sqrt(12) comes from?

I know that should come from some statistics analysis but I have an absolute blockout.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The uniform distribution !
[tex]\mu = \frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^b \text{d}x\,x = \frac{a+b}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\sigma^2 = \frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^b\text{d}x\, (x-\mu)^2 = \frac{(b-a)^2}{12}[/tex]

thank you very much!

Related to Understanding the Spatial Accuracy of Track Detectors

What is a Spatial Detector?

A Spatial Detector is a device used to measure and detect physical, chemical, or biological properties of objects or environments in a specific location or area.

How does a Spatial Detector work?

A Spatial Detector works by using sensors or probes to collect data from the surrounding environment. This data is then analyzed and interpreted to determine the specific properties or characteristics of the area being measured.

What factors affect the accuracy of a Spatial Detector?

The accuracy of a Spatial Detector can be affected by various factors, such as the quality and sensitivity of the sensors used, the calibration of the device, and external factors like temperature, humidity, and interference from other sources.

How is the accuracy of a Spatial Detector measured?

The accuracy of a Spatial Detector is typically measured by comparing its readings to known or expected values. This can be done through calibration tests or by using a reference standard.

Can the accuracy of a Spatial Detector be improved?

Yes, the accuracy of a Spatial Detector can be improved by regularly calibrating the device, using high-quality sensors and probes, and minimizing external factors that may interfere with its readings. It is also important to follow proper usage and maintenance guidelines provided by the manufacturer.