Understanding the Smash Product of Two Topological Spaces

In summary, the conversation discussed the smash product of two topological spaces and how it can be understood through the example of two circles on the torus. The discussion also addressed the confusion around Wikipedia's explanation and clarified that the smash product is equivalent to mod-ing out by the wedge product of the two spaces.
alyscia
Hi all,

I do realize that my previous thread on CW complexes was unanswered, so perhaps I am posting my questions to wrong section of this forum. If so, please direct me to the right forum. Otherwise, I am having some problems understanding the smash product of two topological spaces. If anyone understands it well, could you give me a concrete (nontrivial) example of how a smash product works? (Wikipedia and Hatcher, which are my two primary sources of topology both do not seem to have a satisfactory example).

Thanks,

A

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the smash product of two circles? Consider the Cartesian product of two circles. Let x be a point in the first factor and y a point in the second factor. We naturally have

[itex] A=S^1\times {y}\subset S^1\times S^1 =T^1, B={x}\times S^1 \subset S^1\times S^1=T^1 .[/itex]

A and B are what is known as pointed sets, they have a naturally defined topology on them, and can be identified as copies of S^1. In fact, the torus can be "broken up" into family of disjoint circles parametrized by the second factor S^1 (this is an example of a foliation). So, geometrically A is the circle which corresponds to the point y in S^1 (this is an example of a leaf of a foliation). If we think about it this way we can avoid using coordinates. Also T can also be thought of as a family of disjoint circles parametrized by the first factor S^1. So, B is the circle which corresponds to the point x in the first factor x in S^1. In other words, we have two circles on the torus which intersect each other at exactly one point.

Wikipedia actually has a sorry article because the identification is not worded well. What it really means is that we identify all the points in A and all the points in B as being equivalent. The most natural thing for us to do is to identify all the points in A and all the points in B as being the point (x,y). Even in this simply situation it is hard to visualize what is going on. But, you can contract one of the circles completely to a point geometrically (this you can visualize), but the other you cannnot. You can think of it as the smallest circle which will not contract to a point (i.e., it is in the center of the hole of the torus). We can flatten out the torus so that this part of the boundary protrudes. Then identify antipodal points of the circle. The effect of this is to remove the hole. We may identify the rest of the points. If you draw this or think about it a bit you will see that you get something homeomorphic to S^2. This is the exactly quotient space of the torus which is homeomorphic to a sphere. If you look back you will see that the operation was equivalent to mod-ing out by the wedge product of S^1 and S^1. Thus the smash product of any two pointed sets which are both homeomorphic to circles is the unique quotient space of the torus which is homeomorphic to a sphere.

I think, in the end, it is best to think of it as it relates to the wedge product.

Related to Understanding the Smash Product of Two Topological Spaces

1. What is the smash product of two topological spaces?

The smash product of two topological spaces is a topological space that is formed by taking the Cartesian product of the two spaces and then identifying a point in each space to be the basepoint. This results in a space that has the same homotopy type as the suspension of the wedge sum of the two spaces.

2. How is the smash product of two topological spaces related to the wedge sum?

The smash product is closely related to the wedge sum, as it is essentially the suspension of the wedge sum. The wedge sum of two spaces is formed by taking the disjoint union of the two spaces and identifying a point in each space to be the basepoint. The smash product is formed by taking the Cartesian product of the two spaces and then identifying a point in each space to be the basepoint. Thus, the smash product is like the "suspended" version of the wedge sum.

3. What is the significance of the smash product in topology?

The smash product is significant in topology because it allows us to study the relationship between two spaces in terms of their homotopy type. It also helps us understand the properties of the spaces, such as their homotopy groups and fundamental groups. In particular, the smash product is useful in studying the homotopy groups of spheres.

4. How is the smash product computed?

The smash product of two spaces X and Y is computed by taking the Cartesian product X x Y and then identifying a point in each space to be the basepoint. This can also be thought of as the quotient space (X x Y)/(x,y), where (x,y) is the basepoint. In other words, the smash product is formed by collapsing the basepoints of X and Y to a single point.

5. What are some applications of the smash product in mathematics?

The smash product has various applications in mathematics, particularly in algebraic topology. It is used to study the homotopy groups of spheres, as well as in the construction of Eilenberg-Maclane spaces. It also has applications in the study of loop spaces and classifying spaces. Additionally, the smash product is used in the definition of the suspension and loop spaces of a topological space, which are important structures in algebraic topology.