Understanding the Simplification of Binomial Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving binomial coefficients and simplifying algebraic expressions. The goal is to show that (n over r) can be expressed as (n-r+1)/r (n over r-1) and then simplified to n!/r!(n-r)!. There is a small error in the statement, but the correct steps are discussed and clarified.
BMY61
Here is the problem i am having trouble:

Expressing the binomial coefficients in terms of factorials and simplifying algebraically show that

(n over r) = (n-2+1)/r (n over r-1)

i got that equals ((n-r+1)/r) ((n!)/((r-1)!(n-(r-1))!)) but i am trying to get that to equal n!/r!(n-r)! which would bring me back to (n over r)

i am just getting confused on what to all do in between.
hope i did no confuse anyone

Physics news on Phys.org
BMY61 said:
Here is the problem i am having trouble:

Expressing the binomial coefficients in terms of factorials and simplifying algebraically show that

(n over r) = (n-2+1)/r (n over r-1)

i got that equals ((n-r+1)/r) ((n!)/((r-1)!(n-(r-1))!)) but i am trying to get that to equal n!/r!(n-r)! which would bring me back to (n over r)

i am just getting confused on what to all do in between.
hope i did no confuse anyone

I believe you have an error in the statement. The right hand side should read:
(n-r+1)/r (n over r-1). However, you seem to have the next statement correct.

To get the final result, note that r(r-1)! = r!
Also (n-(r-1))!=(n-r+1)!=(n-r+1)(n-r)!

ahh ok, thank you

Related to Understanding the Simplification of Binomial Coefficients

What are binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients, also known as "choose" coefficients, are used to represent the number of combinations or ways to choose a certain number of items from a larger set. They are denoted by the symbol "n choose k" or nCk.

How do you prove the formula for binomial coefficients?

The formula for binomial coefficients is nCk = n! / (k!(n-k)!). To prove this, we can use the concept of combinations. We know that the number of ways to choose k items from a set of n items is the same as the number of ways to choose n-k items from the same set. This is because if we choose k items, then the remaining n-k items must be chosen as well. Using this concept, we can derive the formula for binomial coefficients.

What is the relationship between Pascal's triangle and binomial coefficients?

Pascal's triangle is a triangular array of numbers where each number is the sum of the two numbers directly above it. The numbers in Pascal's triangle represent binomial coefficients. The first row contains the coefficients for 0C0, the second row contains the coefficients for 1C0 and 1C1, and so on. This relationship can be used to easily find binomial coefficients for larger values of n and k.

Can binomial coefficients be negative?

No, binomial coefficients cannot be negative. They represent the number of combinations, which cannot be negative. If the formula for binomial coefficients results in a negative value, it means the calculation was incorrect.

How are binomial coefficients used in real life?

Binomial coefficients have many applications in mathematics, statistics, and computer science. They are used in probability and counting problems, such as calculating the chances of winning a lottery or the number of possible outcomes in a game. In computer science, binomial coefficients are used in algorithms for data compression, error correction, and more.