Understanding the Schrodinger Equation: The Effects of Multiplying by a Constant

In summary, Schrödinger's equation is a linear and homogeneous differential equation, meaning that if a particular psi is a solution, then k*psi is also a solution. This can be seen by examining the equation and noticing that all terms contain either psi itself or one of its derivatives, making it a linear equation. This fact allows for the replacement of psi with k*psi, cancelling out all the k values.
ohhhnooo
can you explain this statement "if psi is a solution of a schrodinger equation, then so is kpsi, where k is any constant".

why is that multplying psi by a constant does not its value?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to see whether that's true or not by simply plugging the new state vector into Schroedinger's equation.It shouldn't be too hard...

Daniel.

Just to remind you, Schrödinger's equation in one spatial dimension looks like this:

[tex]- \frac {\hbar^2} {2 m} \frac {\partial^2 \Psi} {\partial x^2} + V \Psi = i \hbar \frac {\partial \Psi} {\partial t} [/tex]

All the terms contain either psi itself, or one of its derivatives, therefore we call this a homogeneous differential equation. Also, no term contains powers of psi or of one of its derivatives, or combinations of psi and its derivatives, therefore we call this a linear differential equation.

The fact that Schrödinger's equation is linear and homogeneous guarantees that if if a particular psi is a solution, then k*psi is also a solution.

How about
[tex] \frac{d|\Psi\rangle}{dt}=\frac{1}{i\hbar}\hat{H}|\Psi\rangle [/tex]

,where [itex] \hat{H} [/itex] is a densly-defined,self adjoint LINEAR operator (in agreement with the second principle)... :wink:

Daniel.

Last edited:
If you look at the equation dextercioby has put up (that is the most general form of Schrodinger's equation), you will see that both operators that act upon [tex]|\psi\rangle[/tex] are linear. We have the result that, for linear operators

[tex]\hat{L}(\lambda\mathbf{a} + \mu\mathbf{b}) = \lambda\hat{L}\mathbf{a} + \mu\hat{L}\mathbf{b}[/tex]

What this means is that in the Schrodinger equation, if you replace [tex]|\psi\rangle[/tex] by [tex]k|\psi\rangle[/tex] you can take all the [tex]k[/tex]s out and so cancel them.

I emphasized the word "linear" and left to the OP to see what implications that fact would have.After all,it's better for him to figure out things by himself,as i think that would give him a feeling of satisfaction,too... :wink:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I emphasized the word "linear" and left to the OP to see what implications that fact would have.After all,it's better for him to figure out things by himself,as i think that would give him a feeling of satisfaction,too... :wink:

Daniel.

Daniel, I certainly agree with your reasoning here, but I humbly suggest that in that case the thread be moved to Homework. I sort of like to see different posters working things out one by one down a thread on this QM thread. Just my prejudice though.

SA,if u want u can move it to HM section,no problem on my behalf. :smile:

selfAdjoint said:
I sort of like to see different posters working things out one by one down a thread on this QM thread.

But,in fact,they are.Maybe my posts are too numerous,but i can't help it... :wink: :-p

Daniel.

Yes I do understand the need of the person to work it out for himself. But since we received no acknowledgment of his/her understanding the problem, I thought I should explain it in detail.

Related to Understanding the Schrodinger Equation: The Effects of Multiplying by a Constant

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a wave function, which represents the state of a quantum system. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926.

2. How is the Schrodinger equation used?

The Schrodinger equation is used to determine the evolution of a quantum system over time. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific location or state, and to predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. What happens when you multiply the Schrodinger equation by a constant?

Multiplying the Schrodinger equation by a constant does not change the overall behavior of the system. It simply results in a change in the scale of the wave function and the corresponding probabilities. This constant is often referred to as the "scaling factor."

4. Why is multiplying by a constant important in understanding the Schrodinger equation?

Multiplying by a constant is important because it allows for the normalization of the wave function, meaning that the total probability of finding a particle in any location or state is equal to 1. Normalization is a crucial concept in quantum mechanics and is necessary for accurate predictions and calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to the Schrodinger equation?

Yes, there are limitations to the Schrodinger equation. It is based on non-relativistic quantum mechanics, meaning it does not take into account the effects of special relativity. It also does not fully account for all interactions between particles, such as those involving strong and weak nuclear forces. These limitations have led to the development of more complex equations to describe quantum systems at a more fundamental level.