Understanding the Relationship between Turbulence and the Reynold Number

In summary, the author said that the turbulence is independent of the Reynold number in the region where the friction factor is constant w.r.t. the Reynolds number.
werson tan

Homework Statement

why the author gave that the complete turbulenece is indpendent on the Reynold number ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the turbulence to occur , the Reynold number must be higher than certain value , am i right . So , IMO , turbulenet is dependent on the Reynold number

Attachments

• 236.PNG
    236.PNG
    26.5 KB · Views: 809
Physics news on Phys.org
werson tan said:

Homework Statement

why the author gave that the complete turbulenece is indpendent on the Reynold number ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the turbulence to occur , the Reynold number must be higher than certain value , am i right . So , IMO , turbulenet is dependent on the Reynold number
You're not correctly comprehending what this slide is saying.

First, it's discussing the friction factor f as it's plotted on the Moody diagram:

6837190_f520.jpg

In the zone where the flow is completely turbulent, i.e. to the right of the dashed line, the friction factor is constant w.r.t. the Reynolds number. In this region, the friction factor f depends on the relative pipe roughness only.

SteamKing said:

First, it's discussing the friction factor f as it's plotted on the Moody diagram:

6837190_f520.jpg

In the zone where the flow is completely turbulent, i.e. to the right of the dashed line, the friction factor is constant w.r.t. the Reynolds number. In this region, the friction factor f depends on the relative pipe roughness only.

SteamKing said:

6837190_f520.jpg

Can you explain this phenomenon?

werson tan said:
Can you explain this phenomenon?
You can read a more detailed explanation here:

https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/math/MEK4450/h11/undervisningsmateriale/modul-5/Pipeflow_intro.pdf

SteamKing said:
You can read a more detailed explanation here:

https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/math/MEK4450/h11/undervisningsmateriale/modul-5/Pipeflow_intro.pdf
this is the book that i use . can you expalin why during the complete turbulent , it is independent of reynold number ?

Related to Understanding the Relationship between Turbulence and the Reynold Number

1. What causes turbulence?

Turbulence is caused by the irregular and chaotic movement of air particles in the atmosphere. This can be influenced by factors such as wind shear, thermal effects, and obstructions in the air flow.

2. Is turbulence dangerous?

While turbulence can be uncomfortable for passengers, it is not typically dangerous. Modern aircraft are designed to withstand turbulence and pilots are trained to safely navigate through it.

3. How can turbulence be measured?

Turbulence can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as air data probes, accelerometers, and gyroscopes. Pilots also report turbulence levels to air traffic control, which can be used to create turbulence maps.

4. Can turbulence be predicted?

Yes, turbulence can be predicted to a certain extent. Meteorologists use weather models and data from previous flights to forecast areas of potential turbulence. However, turbulence can also be unpredictable and can occur in unexpected areas.

5. How does turbulence affect air travel?

Turbulence can affect air travel by causing delays, discomfort for passengers, and potential damage to the aircraft. Pilots may need to alter their flight path or altitude to avoid areas of severe turbulence, which can result in longer flight times.