Very simple but I don't understand how

• Thread starter maphanya16
  • Start date
In summary, neglecting weak interactions between small objects, gravity should not act horizontally, it acts only on the y-axis.
maphanya16
This is not a problem but more of a question, and I just don't understand why this is so...
There is a book placed on top of a car and the car drives off. What are the two horizontal forces acting on the car?

Now, I understand that acceleration is one of the forces but, how can garvity be considered a horizontal force? I thought if it pulls things down it is a vertical force?
I know that I'm in college but I think nature forgot to provide me with common sense. please help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity is not a horizontal force, so I do not think that is correct.
I believe the other horizontal force on the car would be friction. That is, the friction due to the book.

I figure that the book is going to slide off the back of the car. Really, it is not sliding backward, rather the car is sliding out form under it. No matter how small compared to the acceleration force of the car, the friction is still present.

What does everyone else think?

neglecting weak interactions between small objects, gravity should not act horizontally, it acts only on the y-axis.

friction is most of what makes a car go anyways...try driving on sheer ice and you'l find out why ;)

But friction is typically a constant (coefficient of friction) times the normal force. In the case of the book sitting on top of the car, the normal force is the book's weight: the gravitational force acting on the book. That may be what is meant by "considering gravity as a horizontal force".

That would be a force acting on the book in the same direction as the motion of the car. The point is that that force probably would not be as great as the force acting on the car- the book does not accelerate as fast as the car and so "is left behind"- it slides of the back.

(I once laid a pair of gloves on the back "seat" of a motorcycle and then forgot about them. When I stopped 15 miles later, one glove was still there!)

1. What does "very simple" mean in a scientific context?

In science, "very simple" refers to a concept or phenomenon that can be easily explained or understood without the need for complex theories or equations. It can also refer to a process or experiment that is straightforward and does not require a lot of resources or time.

2. Why do I struggle to understand simple concepts in science?

Understanding scientific concepts can be challenging for a variety of reasons. It could be due to a lack of prior knowledge, difficulty with abstract thinking, or a language barrier. It is important to ask questions and seek clarification when struggling to understand a concept.

3. How can I simplify complex scientific ideas?

One way to simplify complex scientific ideas is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can be done by using analogies, visual aids, or real-life examples. It is also helpful to ask questions and discuss the concept with others.

4. Why is it important to understand simple concepts in science?

Understanding simple concepts in science is crucial because they serve as building blocks for more complex ideas. Without a solid understanding of basic concepts, it can be difficult to fully comprehend and apply more advanced theories and principles. Additionally, understanding simple concepts can help make informed decisions in daily life.

5. How can I improve my understanding of simple scientific concepts?

Improving understanding of simple scientific concepts can be achieved through various methods, such as reading, practicing, and asking questions. It is also helpful to engage in hands-on activities and experiments, as well as seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials.