Understanding the Principle of Least Action in Multidimensional Systems

• Thread starter Nick.
  • Start date
In summary, stationary action means that there is only one path between two points, no maximum or minimum. It is not clear what you are asking about with more than one dimension. However, when you solve the Euler's equation of motion, you will find a path that takes you to the stationary point.
Nick.
I have seen the principle of least action also being described as stationary action. I can see that the calculus is searching for a stationary point which could be a minimum, maximum, or saddle. However, given any two fixed points there are always infinite paths between them; hence no definable maximum path length. Although there will always be a minimum path. Is that correct? Why stationary action if the maximum is indeterminable?

Also, I have seen the least action path solved in one dimension but what happens with more degrees of freedom? I could imagine that multiple paths would yield the same minimum value?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not entirely clear what you are asking. But a stationary point is by definition at either a minimum or a maximum. Since there is no maximum in your case, it must bea minimum. Does that address your question?

hi nick,, I agree with anorlunda you should be more specific next time. I try to understand your questions and I hope to answer to you and solve some of your questions.

So you have the action which is S=∫ L dt ,where L is the lagrangian.

The Lagragian may be L=1/2 m r˙^2 - mgr , where r˙ is a the magnitude of velocity.
r could be r˙=x˙^2+y˙^2+z˙^2
r˙=r˙^2+(r*θ˙)^2

Don't worry about three or two dimensional problems, you simply find your position vector in a random position and then you find the derivative which is the velocity and then you find the magnitude of velocity.Furthermore about minimum and maximum...you always ask this action integral to be minimum, because you always want your action to be done using the least energy. That's how nature works, when nature wants to do something chooses the path that needs the lowest energy to accomplish the action. Don't forget that maths always describe nature.If I understood well you also ask what happens to the paths..if you have a problem with more than one dimension..Don't analyse it too much especially if you learn these stuff in a physics course..What I consider as important is that when you set dS=0 and doing some math (that you could find them in almost every classical mechanics book) and you end up with euler's langrange's equations that give you the proper equation of motion.
From all these virtual paths E-L equations choose for you the right path. That's all in my opinion. Now if you are a mathematician then okay maybe you should go deeper than that.

I hope to help you my friend. :)

Related to Understanding the Principle of Least Action in Multidimensional Systems

1. What is the principle of least action?

The principle of least action, also known as the principle of stationary action, is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the path taken by a system between two points in space and time is the one that minimizes the action.

2. How does the principle of least action relate to Newton's laws of motion?

The principle of least action is closely related to Newton's laws of motion. It provides an alternative formulation of classical mechanics that is mathematically equivalent to Newton's laws. However, the principle of least action is more general and can be applied to a wider range of physical systems.

3. What is the significance of the principle of least action?

The principle of least action is significant because it is a powerful tool for predicting the behavior of physical systems. It allows us to determine the path that a system will take without having to solve complex equations of motion. It also provides a more intuitive and elegant approach to understanding the laws of physics.

4. How is the principle of least action used in other areas of science?

The principle of least action is not limited to classical mechanics and is used in various fields of science, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and relativity. It is also used in various engineering applications, such as optimization and control theory.

5. Are there any limitations to the principle of least action?

While the principle of least action is a powerful and widely applicable concept, it does have some limitations. It is based on classical mechanics and does not fully account for the effects of quantum mechanics, which are significant at the atomic and subatomic levels. Additionally, there are some systems, such as chaotic systems, that cannot be described by the principle of least action.