Understanding the Physics Behind a Vertical String's Wave Pulse Travel Time?

In summary, by using the equation for wave velocity (v = square root of T/u) and substituting in the values for T (tension) and u (linear density), we can find v as a function of x, the distance from the bottom of the rope. To find the time it takes for the wave pulse to travel the length of the rope, we must integrate v with respect to x from 0 to L. This results in the formula t = 2(L/g)^1/2. In calculating the tension, T = m(X/L)g, where X is the distance from the bottom of the rope and m is the mass of the rope.
skiboka33
A rope of mass m and length L is suspended vertically. Show that a transverse wave pulse will travel the length of the tope in a time t = 2(L/g)^1/2.

stuck... i tried:

v = (T/u)^1/2 ; where T = m(X/L)g and u = m/L

the X is the distance from the bottom of the string...

so i got v= (xg)^1/2

t= (L-X)/ (xg)^1/2

which i can't simplify to t = 2(L/g)^1/2.

Where did I go wrong here? logic is making sense to me but I am no getting the answer. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You found v as of function of x correctly, but then just multiplied by the distance to find the time. Since v is not constant, you must integrate:
[tex]v = \frac{dx}{dt} = (xg)^{1/2}[/tex]
[tex]t = \int_{0}^{L}\frac{dx}{(xg)^{1/2}}[/tex]

can you please expain why T = m(X/L)g? Thanks!

Related to Understanding the Physics Behind a Vertical String's Wave Pulse Travel Time?

What is the "Vertical string problem"?

The Vertical string problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining the length of a string that is suspended between two points at different heights and is affected by gravity.

What factors affect the length of the string in the Vertical string problem?

The length of the string is affected by the distance between the two points, the mass of the string, and the strength of gravity.

How is the Vertical string problem commonly solved?

The Vertical string problem can be solved using mathematical equations, such as the Pythagorean theorem and the law of cosines, to calculate the length of the string.

What are some real-life applications of the Vertical string problem?

The Vertical string problem has practical applications in engineering, architecture, and physics, such as calculating the length of cables in suspension bridges or determining the shape of a hanging chain.

What are some limitations of the Vertical string problem?

The Vertical string problem assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account factors such as air resistance and the elasticity of the string, which may affect the accuracy of the calculations.