Understanding the phase-space representation of Ensembles

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of statistical mechanics, ensembles, and phase-space representation. There is a question about the motion of points in the phase-space and the idea of trajectories. The speaker suggests that this topic may be more suitable for the "Atomic, solid state anch comp. physics" section.
Harry Mason
Hello , i have some troubles with basics concepts of statistical mechanics.
I feel confortable with the general idea of an Ensamble, a collection of copies of the physical system which differs from each other due to microscopic differences and having the same macroscopic behavior.

I'm ok also with the concept that a point in a 6N-dimensional phase-space represent a specific microstate of the system itselt but i fell unconfortable with the idea of 'motion' of these points.

I see the ensemble as a 'cloud' of non-interactive points each of them representing a particular allowed state.
Why should these points follow trajectories? According to the hamilton equations the possible solution are all the microstate and at a fixed energy , possible microstate are fixed so I can't imagine any motion in this space.

I think I wrote it in the wrong section.
I mean, maybe the 'Atomic, solid state anch comp. physics' section should be better, but I don't know how to move the post.

Related to Understanding the phase-space representation of Ensembles

1. What is the phase-space representation of ensembles?

The phase-space representation of ensembles is a way of visualizing and understanding the state of a system consisting of multiple particles. It involves plotting the positions and momentums of all the particles in the system in a multi-dimensional space.

2. Why is the phase-space representation useful for understanding ensembles?

The phase-space representation allows us to see the distribution of particles in a system, which can provide insights into the behavior and properties of the system as a whole. It also allows us to track the evolution of the system over time.

3. How is the phase-space representation related to statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of large ensembles of particles. The phase-space representation is a powerful tool in statistical mechanics as it allows us to analyze the collective behavior of particles in a system and make predictions about the macroscopic properties of the system.

4. What is the difference between phase space and physical space?

Physical space refers to the three-dimensional world that we live in, where objects have a position in space and time. Phase space, on the other hand, is a mathematical space that represents the possible states of a system, with each dimension representing a different variable such as position or momentum.

5. Can the phase-space representation be applied to all types of ensembles?

Yes, the phase-space representation can be applied to all types of ensembles, including classical and quantum mechanical systems. It is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics and has wide-ranging applications in various fields of physics such as thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and solid-state physics.