Understanding the Mechanics of Galileo Temperature Gauges

In summary, the Galileo temperature gauge uses glass bubbles filled with liquid to show the change in density as the temperature changes. The bubbles fall at different temperatures due to the different densities of the liquid inside them.
Lrdmora
Okay, this is not for homework, just curious. I was at a friends this weekend and he had a Galileo temperature gauge. I was trying to figure it out.

It is full of glass bubbles that are half full of liquid, some small, some large, with glass weights at the bottom and markers.

As the temperature rises the liquid in the oval bubbles becomes less dense.

Heres my first question: If the liquid becomes less dense what causes it to fall? My belief from placing it near the fire place and watching it, is that as the volume of the liquid increases it compresses the air or gas in the bubble making it less bouyant. (The liquid actually rises to above the halfway mark when hot) Will someone set me on the correct path?

My second question: I noticed that the bubbles were different sizes. And that they fall at different temperatures. Are the bubbles filled with different liquids that react at different temperatures, or are the weights of the bubbles different with the same liquid.

I know this is an elementary question, but I sure would appreciate any answers to appease my curiousity.

Thanks a ton.

Science news on Phys.org
http://www.hewgill.com/galilean-thermometer/

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I am missing a basic thing.

Thanks for the link! But I am slow today.

How does the density of the object decreasing make it weigh more? I thought increasing the density would make it heavier? What am I missing?

I think you've misunderstood. It is not the liquid in the "bubbles" that becomes more or less dense, it is the liquid that is supporting them.
The "bubbles" themselves are rigid. There volume does not change, of course, the mass does not change, so the overall density remains the same (the density of the gas or liquid inside each "bubble" is irrelevant- since the overall volume does not change, neither does the overall density.
The "bubbles" are made with more or less glass so that the density of each one is the same as density of the supporting liquid at some specific temperature. When the liquid reaches a given temperature, all "bubbles" with density greater than that of the liquid at that temperature sink.

Thank you!

That makes a lot more sense! I guess I was being a little dense myself, heh, heh.

Thanks for taking the time to explain something elementary to me.

Related to Understanding the Mechanics of Galileo Temperature Gauges

1. What is a Temperature Gauge - Galileo?

A Temperature Gauge - Galileo is a scientific instrument used to measure temperature. It consists of a glass tube filled with a clear liquid and several floating bulbs of different densities. As the temperature changes, the bulbs will rise or fall, indicating the temperature.

2. How does a Temperature Gauge - Galileo work?

A Temperature Gauge - Galileo works on the principle of buoyancy. As the temperature changes, the density of the liquid in the tube changes, causing the bulbs to either rise or sink. The temperature is determined by the position of the bulbs in the tube.

3. What are the benefits of using a Temperature Gauge - Galileo?

A Temperature Gauge - Galileo is a simple and accurate way to measure temperature. It does not require any external power source and is not affected by external factors such as air pressure. It is also aesthetically pleasing and can serve as a decorative piece.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Temperature Gauge - Galileo?

One limitation of using a Temperature Gauge - Galileo is that it is not as precise as modern digital thermometers. It may also be affected by vibrations and needs to be placed on a stable surface. Additionally, it can only measure a limited range of temperatures.

5. How do you read a Temperature Gauge - Galileo?

To read a Temperature Gauge - Galileo, you need to observe the position of the bulbs in the tube. Each bulb will have a temperature range associated with it, and the temperature can be estimated based on the position of the bulbs. It is important to note that the accuracy of the reading may vary.