Understanding the Lagrange Points: What's Going Wrong with L2 and L3?

In summary, the points L1, L4, and L5 are unstable equilibrium points, while L2 and L3 are stable. L1, L2, and L3 are all unstable equilibrium points. You can park a satellite there, if you're careful, but it won't stay forever: it will eventually get kicked out of the orbit. L4 and L5 are stable, so there's lots of asteroids and whatnot around those Lagrange points.
Imager
Gold Member
The Wiki article shows 5 Lagrange points. I can “see” how the points L1, L4 and L5 points would be balanced by the gravitation of the two bodies, but not the L2 and L3.

For L2 and L3, it looks to me like the combination of the Sun’s and Earth’s gravity increase pull and make less stable. So where am I going wrong?

upload_2016-7-2_9-49-42.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point

Space news on Phys.org
You are forgetting that this is a rotating system. Consequently, there is also a contribution from the ficticious centrifugal force in the rotating frame.

Likes Imager
Orodruin said:
You are forgetting that this is a rotating system. Consequently, there is also a contribution from the ficticious centrifugal force in the rotating frame.

So I could think of it like another small planet in orbit around the sun?

Imager said:
So I could think of it like another small planet in orbit around the sun?
Essentially. The "big" thing here is that the presence of the second large body (the Earth) has the effect that at the angular velocity only is the same at a few points. In other places, the gravitational effect of the Earth will destabilise the orbit.

Edit: Also note that this third body needs to be significantly lighter than the Earth in order not to influence the Earth orbit as well.

Likes Imager
Imager said:
The Wiki article shows 5 Lagrange points. I can “see” how the points L1, L4 and L5 points would be balanced by the gravitation of the two bodies, but not the L2 and L3.

For L2 and L3, it looks to me like the combination of the Sun’s and Earth’s gravity increase pull and make less stable. So where am I going wrong?
L1, L2, and L3 are all unstable equilibrium points. You can park a satellite there, if you're careful, but it won't stay forever: it will eventually get kicked out of the orbit. It's rare to find natural satellites at these points. L4 and L5 are stable, so there's lots of asteroids and whatnot around those Lagrange points.

Likes Imager
Great answers, thank you!

Another proof that my intuition gets it backwards when in come to Physics and my golf swing.

Related to Understanding the Lagrange Points: What's Going Wrong with L2 and L3?

1. What are Lagrange points?

Lagrange points are points in space where the gravitational forces of two large objects (such as a planet and a moon) balance out, allowing for a stable position for a smaller object to orbit.

2. How many Lagrange points are there?

There are 5 Lagrange points in total, labeled L1-L5. L1, L2, and L3 are collinear (along the same line as the two large objects), while L4 and L5 are located at equilateral points in the orbit.

3. What is special about L2 and L3?

L2 and L3 are considered "unstable" Lagrange points, meaning that any object placed at these points will eventually drift away from the point due to small disturbances in the orbit.

4. Why is there a problem with L2 and L3?

The problem with L2 and L3 is that they are not as stable as initially thought. Objects placed at these points tend to drift away from the point over time, making it difficult for spacecraft or satellites to maintain a stable orbit.

5. How do scientists address the issue with L2 and L3?

Scientists are constantly studying and researching ways to improve the stability of objects at L2 and L3. This includes using advanced propulsion systems and precise orbital maneuvers to counter the effects of disturbances in the orbit.