Understanding the Infinity Sign for Beginners

In summary, the question is about the relationship between angular velocity and velocity in regards to a satellite in a higher orbit. The "infinity" sign is actually the Greek letter omega, used to represent angular velocity in radians. The angular velocity is proportional to both the radius and velocity, and further understanding can be found in discussions on Newton's Law of Gravitation and Keppler's Laws.
vipson231

Homework Statement

Question is in attachment
Can someone explain to me what the infinity sign is I'm new to this topic.

All I know is that as a satellite goes to a higher orbit that the velocity decreases.

Attachments

• veloc-infinity.jpg
    veloc-infinity.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org

It looks like that "infinity" sign is really a greek letter omega, "ω". It is the symbol used for angular velocity when given in terms of radians.

Oh ok. The only knowledge i have of angular velocity is it determines how fast something is turning. So wouldn't the angular velocity be proportional to the velocity and since the satellite is going to a higher orbital, the speed would thus decrease and so if angular velocity is decreasing, wouldn't the velocity be decreasing as well? =}

Angular velocity depends on both the radius (of the orbit) and the velocity. I would expect your textbook to have a discussion of how ω, v and r are related. There should be other important information in the book's sections on Newton's Law of Gravitation and also Keppler's Laws. If you're really stuck on understanding this problem, you'll want to go over those parts of your book. Post back with questions if you don't follow it.

The infinity sign, also known as the lemniscate, is a mathematical symbol that represents infinity, or limitless, without end. It is often used in mathematics and physics to represent concepts such as infinite sets, infinite series, and infinite limits. The shape of the infinity sign is similar to a figure eight on its side, with two loops that are connected in the middle.

In terms of satellite orbit, the infinity sign can represent the concept of escape velocity, where a satellite's velocity decreases as it moves to a higher orbit, eventually reaching a point where it can escape the gravitational pull of the planet. This is because the gravitational force decreases with distance, so as the satellite moves further away from the planet, the force decreases and the velocity decreases as a result.

I hope this helps in understanding the concept of the infinity sign. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Related to Understanding the Infinity Sign for Beginners

1. What does the infinity sign symbolize?

The infinity sign, also known as the lemniscate, symbolizes eternity, limitless possibilities, and interconnectedness. It is often used in mathematics and philosophy to represent the concept of infinity.

2. How did the infinity sign come to be used in mathematics?

The infinity symbol was first introduced by mathematician John Wallis in 1655. He used it to represent the concept of infinity in his work on calculus and geometric series.

3. Can the infinity sign be used to represent different sizes of infinity?

Yes, the infinity sign can be used to represent different sizes of infinity, such as countable and uncountable infinities. This concept is often explored in advanced mathematics and set theory.

4. Is the infinity sign related to the concept of infinity in physics?

Yes, the infinity sign is often used in physics to represent infinite quantities or concepts, such as the infinite size of the universe or the infinite energy of a black hole.

5. Are there any other symbols that represent infinity?

Yes, there are other symbols that represent infinity in different cultures and contexts. Some examples include the ouroboros in ancient Egyptian mythology and the Möbius strip in mathematics.