Understanding the Importance of Constants in Proportional Formulas

• Thread starter mphr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constants
In summary, constants are essential in equations where two quantities are proportional to each other because they ensure that the equation is consistent within a specific unit system. These constants can be removed by using natural units, but this may make it difficult to compare values across different systems.
mphr
why should there is a 'constant' in a formula in which charactors on both sides are propotional to each other? and what should be the importance of it?:confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Two quantities are said to be proportional when their ratio is a constant. If some variable y is proportional to another variable x, then their ratio, y/x, is a contant.

y/x = k => y = kx. (k is some constant)

mphr said:
why should there is a 'constant' in a formula in which charactors on both sides are propotional to each other? and what should be the importance of it?:confused:

im not sure that i understood ur question...
are u asking what role constants play in physical equations?

because is u do, my answer is that those constants are there to keep all physical equations in the same unit system...

lets take the niotonic equation on the gravitational force:
F=GMm/r^2
this equation in principle is the same as : F=Mm/r^2.

though such formation of the equation, will not give us the force in Newtonic units, so we cannot compare this force to other known foces other than gravity...

i hope i was clear though my crippled skills in english...

TuviaDaCat said:
lets take the niotonic equation on the gravitational force:
F=GMm/r^2
this equation in principle is the same as : F=Mm/r^2.

though such formation of the equation, will not give us the force in Newtonic units, so we cannot compare this force to other known foces other than gravity...

you can define units that get rid of these constants of proportionality. these are often called "natural units". check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_units

and take your pick of which constants to lose.

rbj said:
you can define units that get rid of these constants of proportionality. these are often called "natural units". check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_units

and take your pick of which constants to lose.

it does not contradict with what i said.
all i said that constants are there to keep a all physical properties in a certain system of units.

ofcours u may use those "natural units", after all the Newton unit was defined by multiplying our earthly gravity with mass.

but u cannot compare two forces from different equalities of a property.
if there is nothing to say, just say nothing, I am annoyed that u just spill words without relating to what i wrote, maybe its because I am tierd... no matter...

Related to Understanding the Importance of Constants in Proportional Formulas

1. What are constants in proportional formulas?

Constants in proportional formulas are the fixed values that remain the same regardless of other variables in the formula. They determine the relationship between the variables and are essential in determining the outcome of the formula.

2. Why are constants important in proportional formulas?

Constants are important in proportional formulas because they help maintain the proportionality between the variables. They provide a baseline for comparison and help in understanding the impact of changing variables on the outcome of the formula.

3. How do constants affect the outcome of a proportional formula?

Constants directly affect the outcome of a proportional formula by determining the magnitude and direction of the relationship between the variables. A change in the value of a constant will result in a corresponding change in the outcome of the formula.

4. Can constants ever change in a proportional formula?

No, constants remain fixed in a proportional formula. They are predetermined values that do not change and are used to maintain the proportionality between the variables. Any changes in the constant would result in a change in the underlying relationship between the variables.

5. What is the significance of using constants in real-life applications?

Constants are crucial in real-life applications as they help establish and maintain predictable relationships between variables. They are used in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics to accurately model and understand natural phenomena and make informed decisions.