Understanding the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus in Calculus II

In summary: Keep up the good work!In summary, the conversation discusses using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to solve two problems involving integrals. The first problem involves using the anti-derivative form of the FTOC and differentiating with respect to x. The second problem also uses differentiation to find the derivative of a function. The conversation ends with the expert providing guidance and confirmation to the other person's solutions.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

View attachment 2777I'm confused as to how these work. For instance, I'm assuming that the FTC must be used, where the formula used would be f(b)-f(a), correct?
If so, I got 4x^3 radical(2-x^4) -2 for the first one. The second one is 3x^2 (sin(x^3)) + sincosx * cosx.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    16.6 KB · Views: 60
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's take a look at the first one:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\int_{-2}^{x^4}\sqrt{2-u}\,du\)

Let's define a function:

\(\displaystyle G(u)\) such that \(\displaystyle G'(u)=g(u)=\sqrt{2-u}\)

Now, by the anti-derivative form of the FTOC, we know:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=G\left(x^4\right)-G(-2)\)

Now, differentiate both sides with respect to $x$, making sure to use the chain rule where applicable. What do you get?

MarkFL said:
Let's take a look at the first one:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\int_{-2}^{x^4}\sqrt{2-u}\,du\)

Let's define a function:

\(\displaystyle G(u)\) such that \(\displaystyle G'(u)=g(u)=\sqrt{2-u}\)

Now, by the anti-derivative form of the FTOC, we know:

Now, differentiate both sides with respect to $x$, making sure to use the chain rule where applicable. What do you get?
I used v=2-u as the substitution and ended up getting (-2/3)(2- x^4 )^(3/2) + (2/3)(8)

Thanks.

Edit: Also, I got cos(cos(x)) - cos( x^3 ) for the second one.

Last edited:
ardentmed said:
I used v=2-u as the substitution and ended up getting (-2/3)(2- x^4 )^(3/2) + (2/3)(8)

Thanks.

Edit: Also, I got cos(cos(x)) - cos( x^3 ) for the second one.

You shouldn't need to use any substitutions or actually integrate. Let's look at:

Now, differentiating with respect to $x$, we get:

\(\displaystyle f^{\prime}(x)=G^{\prime}\left(x^4\right)\left(x^4\right)^{\prime}-G^{\prime}(-2)(-2)^{\prime}\)

Now, using the fact that:

\(\displaystyle G^{\prime}(u)=g(u)=\sqrt{2-u}\)

we obtain (recalling the derivative of a constant is zero):

\(\displaystyle f^{\prime}(x)=\sqrt{2-x^4}\left(4x^3\right)-\sqrt{2-(-2)}(0)\)

Simplify:

\(\displaystyle f^{\prime}(x)=4x^3\sqrt{2-x^4}\)

Try the second problem in the same manner and post what you get. :D

MarkFL said:
You shouldn't need to use any substitutions or actually integrate. Let's look at:

Now, differentiating with respect to $x$, we get:

\(\displaystyle f^{\prime}(x)=G^{\prime}\left(x^4\right)\left(x^4\right)^{\prime}-G^{\prime}(-2)(-2)^{\prime}\)

Now, using the fact that:

\(\displaystyle G^{\prime}(u)=g(u)=\sqrt{2-u}\)

we obtain (recalling the derivative of a constant is zero):

\(\displaystyle f^{\prime}(x)=\sqrt{2-x^4}\left(4x^3\right)-\sqrt{2-(-2)}(0)\)

Simplify:

\(\displaystyle f^{\prime}(x)=4x^3\sqrt{2-x^4}\)

Try the second problem in the same manner and post what you get. :D

So 3x^2 (sin(x^3) + sin(cosx)sinx is what I computed for the second one after following your advice. Am I on the right track?

Thanks again.

ardentmed said:
So 3x^2 (sin(x^3) + sin(cosx)sinx is what I computed for the second one after following your advice. Am I on the right track?

Thanks again.

Good job! :D

I think you just have an extra bracketing symbol in there, but if you got:

\(\displaystyle g'(x)=3x^2\sin\left(x^3\right)+\sin(x)\sin\left(\cos(x)\right)\)

(which I think you did) then you are correct.

Related to Understanding the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus in Calculus II

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (FTC)?

The FTC is a fundamental concept in calculus that relates the concept of integration to that of differentiation. It states that the definite integral of a function can be calculated by finding its antiderivative and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.

2. What is Calculus II FTC Question?

Calculus II FTC Question refers to a specific type of problem that involves applying the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find the definite integral of a function. These questions often involve finding the area under a curve or the net change of a function over a given interval.

3. What is the process for solving a Calculus II FTC Question?

To solve a Calculus II FTC Question, you first need to identify the function that you are integrating and the limits of integration. Then, you need to find the antiderivative of the function. Finally, you can evaluate the antiderivative at the upper and lower limits of integration and take the difference to find the definite integral.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a Calculus II FTC Question?

One common mistake is forgetting to evaluate the antiderivative at the upper and lower limits of integration. Another mistake is using the wrong limits of integration or forgetting to include the limits altogether. It is also important to check for any other applicable rules or theorems, such as the power rule or substitution rule, when solving these types of questions.

5. How can understanding the FTC benefit me in my calculus studies?

The FTC is a crucial concept in calculus and is used extensively in both Calculus II and higher level calculus courses. Understanding the FTC allows you to solve a wide range of integration problems and helps you develop a deeper understanding of the relationship between differentiation and integration. It also serves as a foundation for further mathematical concepts and applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.