Understanding the Function and Placement of Drain Coolers in Feed Water Heaters

In summary, the drain cooler is a section of a closed feed water heater in a steam power plant. It is responsible for cooling and desuperheating steam bled from the turbine and transferring heat to the feed water. This section is usually integral within the heat exchanger, but can sometimes be placed outside for easier maintenance and to use separate cooling water for the steam/water mixture.
ashoksmulpuri
What is the function of drain cooler in a feed water heater and is there any reason that it is integral within the heat exchanger but some times it is also placed outside the heater.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The only context I've heard of a "drain cooler" is for cooling water that is to be discharged to a drain below 140F in accordance with OSHA regulations.

ashoksmulpuri said:
What is the function of drain cooler in a feed water heater and is there any reason that it is integral within the heat exchanger but some times it is also placed outside the heater.

In a steam power plant, term drain cooler refers to the drain cooler:biggrin: section of the closed feed water heater. A closed feed water is a heat exchanger where steam bled from the turbine transfers heat to the feed water in a non contact heat exchanger(eg shell & tube type). Steam, as it cools, is first desuperheated(if in superheated stage) in the first section which is called the desuperheater, condensed in the condenser section, & then cooled in the drain cooler part.

The three sections do not make different components, its just one component with different physical phenomenons occurring in different section. The last part where the liquid cools is termed the drain cooler.

thanks for ur reply.

is there any specific reason that drain cooler is placed outside the closed fed water heater?

I actually haven't seen it being placed outside:redface:

But i would reason, if it is placed outside the shell, since that it is already condensed(counterflow heat exchanger), it is used to heat feedwater at its inlet. Maybe that's why:shy:

I have seen a drain cooler placed outside the FWH. the FWH transferred heat from the the steam bled from the high pressure turbine I believe to the feed water. The drain cooler exchanged heat from the condensed steam from the FWH (usually a steam and water mixture) to bearing cooling water.

the effect achieved I suppose is to have the steam heat the feed water and then have a separate water system cool the steam/water mixture to be discharged to the condenser sump.

I also believe that it would be easier to clean or preform maintenance on the drain cooler if it is separated from the feed water heater. Especially if you are using bearing coolant water which is more susceptible to fouling and requires cleaning more often.

Related to Understanding the Function and Placement of Drain Coolers in Feed Water Heaters

1. What is a feed water heater?

A feed water heater is a type of heat exchanger that is used in power plants to preheat the water that is used to produce steam. This preheating process helps to improve the efficiency of the power plant by reducing the amount of fuel needed to produce the same amount of steam.

2. How does a feed water heater work?

A feed water heater works by using hot steam from the turbine to heat up the feed water before it enters the boiler. The hot steam and cold water flow in opposite directions through the heat exchanger, allowing the feed water to absorb heat from the steam and increase in temperature.

3. What are the benefits of using a feed water heater?

Using a feed water heater in a power plant has several benefits. It helps to improve the overall efficiency of the plant, reduces the amount of fuel needed to produce steam, and can also help to extend the lifespan of the boiler by reducing thermal stress on the equipment.

4. What are the different types of feed water heaters?

There are two main types of feed water heaters: open and closed. Open feed water heaters allow the steam and water to mix, while closed feed water heaters keep the steam and water separate. Closed feed water heaters are further divided into low pressure and high pressure heaters, depending on the pressure of the steam used.

5. How is the performance of a feed water heater measured?

The performance of a feed water heater is typically measured by the amount of heat transferred from the steam to the feed water. This is known as the heat transfer rate and is usually expressed in terms of energy transferred per unit time, such as BTU per hour or kilowatts. Other factors, such as pressure and temperature, may also be considered when evaluating the performance of a feed water heater.