Understanding the Fourier Transform in Solving the Heat Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the heat equation subject to certain conditions and the use of sines and cosines times an exponential to find a solution. It also explains the presence of the term ##d\lambda## in the solution and how it relates to determining the coefficients. The concept of changing the normalisation of the basis is also discussed in the context of the finite and infinite cases.
member 428835
Hi PF! I was wondering if you could clarify something for me. Specifically, I am solving the heat equation ##u_t = u_{xx}## subject to ##| u(\pm \infty , t ) | < \infty##. Now this implies a solution of sines and cosines times an exponential. Since we have a linear PDE, we may superimpose each solution (we have infinitely many since ##\lambda##, the separation constant, need only be positive or negative, depending on how we define it).

Since ##\lambda## is continuous we may sum via the Reimann integral, as $$\int_0^\infty c_1(\lambda ) \sin (\sqrt{\lambda} x) \exp (- \lambda k t) d \lambda$$. There would also be a cosine expression. My question is, where does the ##d \lambda## come from? Can someone please explain?

Thanks so much!

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
It is part of the expansion coefficient. If you compare with the ##1/L## you get when you normalise the basis of a Fourier series, you cannot do that here and the normalisation condition is that you get a delta function rather than one, the ##1/L## essentially becomes your ##d\lambda##.

so it comes from determining the coefficients?

If you look at the finite case, you can always change your coefficients by changing the normalisation of the basis. This is the case also in the infinite case, but in order to have a normalisation that makes sense, you need to add the infinitesimal ##d\lambda## (i.e., the coefficient of ##\sin(\ldots)\exp(\ldots)## is really ##c(\lambda) d\lambda## in order for the normalisation of the basis to make sense).

Orodruin said:
If you look at the finite case, you can always change your coefficients by changing the normalisation of the basis.
Can you elaborate on this?

The general idea is to write the solution as
$$
\sum c_k f_k(x,t)
$$
where the ##f_k(x,t)## each satisfy the differential equation. If you define ##g_k(x,t) = f_k(x,t) \sqrt{L}##, you will still be able to write the solution as
$$
\sum c_k' g_k(x,t) = \sum \frac{c_k}{\sqrt L} g_k(x,t)
$$
and ##g_k(x,t)## also satisfies the differential equation, but also an additional normalisation condition. When you go to the infinite case, the sum goes to an integral.

When you go to the infinite case, the sum goes to an integral.
When you say infinite case are you referring to ##L \to \infty##? I'm sure you're referring to ##k \to \infty## but then where is the ##\Delta k##?

Yes. But I think you are reading too much into the appearance of the ##d\lambda## in the integral. I suggest simply seeing it as a linear combination of your (uncountable) set of solutions. The coefficient of each is ##c(\lambda) d\lambda##.

Thanks for your help!

Related to Understanding the Fourier Transform in Solving the Heat Equation

What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It is widely used in signal processing, image processing, and solving differential equations, such as the heat equation.

How does the Fourier Transform help in solving the Heat Equation?

The Fourier Transform allows us to express the solution of the heat equation in terms of a sum of sine and cosine functions, which are solutions to the simpler ordinary differential equations. This simplifies the problem and makes it easier to find a solution.

What is the relationship between the Fourier Transform and the Heat Equation?

The Fourier Transform is a powerful tool for solving the heat equation because it transforms the equation from a partial differential equation in time and space to a system of ordinary differential equations in frequency. This allows us to use well-known techniques to solve the problem.

Can the Fourier Transform be used to solve other types of differential equations?

Yes, the Fourier Transform can be applied to a wide range of differential equations, including the wave equation and the diffusion equation. It is a versatile tool for solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

Are there any limitations to using the Fourier Transform in solving the Heat Equation?

While the Fourier Transform is a powerful tool, it may not always provide an exact solution to the heat equation. In some cases, it may only provide an approximation or an asymptotic solution. Additionally, the Fourier Transform assumes that the initial conditions and boundary conditions for the problem are well-behaved, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.