Understanding the Energy Transfer in a Simple Pendulum System

In summary: This causes the pendulum to eventually stop swinging.In summary, when a pendulum is first released, all of its energy is in the form of gravitational potential energy. As it swings, this energy is converted into kinetic energy, but eventually, friction from air resistance and the pivot point cause the pendulum to come to a stop.
n3w ton

Homework Statement

Textbook question: We know that the pendulum will eventually stop swinging. Explain what happens to the mechanical energy of the pendulum system.

Homework Equations

None needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that when the pendulum is first released from rest all its energy is equal to gravtational potential energy and at the bottom of the pendulum (at lowest point) it has its max speed and all its energy has now been transferred into kinetic energy (ET = EK).
In an ideal world this pattern would continue to keep going and never stop. But why does this pendulum actually stop?
My guess: something to do with gravity, air resistance, and friction on the string. Though I can't put it all together to get a GOOD answer.

Please help. Thank you Very much!o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
n3w ton said:
In an ideal world this pattern would continue to keep going and never stop. But why does this pendulum actually stop?
My guess: something to do with gravity, air resistance, and friction on the string. Though I can't put it all together to get a GOOD answer.[/b]

You described the ideal situation correctly. Gravity has no effect on it stopping, but friction and air-resistance do. Air-resistance may be small but it is present. Friction between the pivot point and the string is the main source of friction.

For this case the initial energy is converted into kinetic energy and friction.

Related to Understanding the Energy Transfer in a Simple Pendulum System

What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a mass attached to a string or rod that is free to swing back and forth. It is commonly used in physics experiments to study the effects of gravity and motion.

What factors affect the motion of a simple pendulum?

The motion of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the object, and the angle at which it is released. The strength of gravity also plays a role in the motion.

What is the formula for calculating the period of a simple pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period (time for one swing) of a simple pendulum is T=2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How can the period of a simple pendulum be increased?

The period of a simple pendulum can be increased by increasing the length of the string, increasing the mass of the object, or decreasing the angle at which it is released. Altering the strength of gravity will also affect the period.

What is the relationship between the length of a simple pendulum and its period?

The relationship between the length of a simple pendulum and its period is known as a "direct square root relationship." This means that if the length of the pendulum is doubled, the period will increase by a factor of √2 (or approximately 1.4 times).