Understanding the Energy Conservation Principle in Roller Coaster Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses questions related to physics and roller coasters. The first question involves calculating the total energy required to raise the train to the top of the first hill, using the formula mgh. The second question involves applying the law of conservation of energy to determine the speed of the first car at the bottom of the first hill, taking into account energy lost due to friction. A reasonable estimate for the coefficient of kinetic friction is suggested, and the necessary information for solving the problem is provided.
coldcell
I'm not sure if this question belongs to this forum or advanced phsyics.. but since I'm still in high school, I think this is the right forum.

I'm doing physics questions based on roller coaster and am just a little bit confused on how to answer some questions.

You know :

Mass of each empty car and with passangers
Total length of track
Slope of lift
Horizontal distance from bottom of lift to top
Change in elevation at first drop
Track length at the first drop
Length of each car

Questions 1: Calculate the total energy required to raise the train to the top of the first hill

I'm thinking Eg - Ek will give you the answer, but I'm not sure.

A friend suggested that the energy required is simply 0 since the train is moving at constant velocity to the top of the hill.

Question 2: Apply the law of conservation of energy to determine the speed of the first car at the bottom of the first hill, assuming some energy is lost in overcoming friction (use a reasonable estimate)

I'm just dead confused about this one.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
To raise the coaster cars to a height h (using a chain drive perhaps) you need to do work against gravity. This energy is stored as potential energy at the top. Now when you come back down this energy is converted into kinetic energy. Thus there is constant shuttling of two different forms of energy. Now due to friction some energy is lost constantly (this is why the first dip of normal coasters is the tallest) and eventually the cars come to a stop.
Can you do your question now ?

Hm... let me see if I get this right:

Total energy to bring the train to the top = mgh

That's it right?

As for the second question, I'm still confused. I realize that the friction is causing energy loss.. but how do calculate the friction when you don't know the friction constant?

coldcell said:
Hm... let me see if I get this right:

Total energy to bring the train to the top = mgh

That's it right?
Yeah that's right.
coldcell said:
As for the second question, I'm still confused. I realize that the friction is causing energy loss.. but how do calculate the friction when you don't know the friction constant?
The question says, "use a resonable estimate", I would assume this means you can choose a co efficent. I believe the coefficenet of kinetic friction for steel on steel is around 0.6.

Last edited:
Even if you have an approximate coefficient of kinetic friction, you would still need to know the slope of the track and not just the height .

arunbg said:
Even if you have an approximate coefficient of kinetic friction, you would still need to know the slope of the track and not just the height .
I think that information is given in the question;
coldcell said:
You know :

Mass of each empty car and with passangers
Total length of track
Slope of lift
Horizontal distance from bottom of lift to top
Change in elevation at first drop
Track length at the first drop

Length of each car

Aww, shucks didn't notice that , sorry.

arunbg said:
Aww, shucks didn't notice that , sorry.
No problem, we all make silly mistake, including typos (RE projectile motion thread)...:wink:

Related to Understanding the Energy Conservation Principle in Roller Coaster Physics

1. What is the "Roller Coaster analogy"?

The "Roller Coaster analogy" is a comparison often used to explain the concept of potential and kinetic energy. It compares the movement of a roller coaster car to the transfer of energy between different forms.

2. How does the Roller Coaster analogy apply to science?

In science, the Roller Coaster analogy is used to explain the principle of conservation of energy. Just like a roller coaster car gains and loses potential and kinetic energy as it moves, energy is constantly being converted from one form to another in various scientific processes.

3. Why is the Roller Coaster analogy helpful in understanding energy?

The Roller Coaster analogy is helpful because it provides a visual representation of how energy can be transferred and transformed. It also helps to illustrate the idea that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another.

4. Can the Roller Coaster analogy be applied to other scientific concepts?

Yes, the Roller Coaster analogy can be applied to other scientific concepts such as the movement of electrons in an electrical circuit or the transfer of heat energy in a thermodynamic system. It can also be used to explain the concept of potential and kinetic energy in a variety of physical and chemical processes.

5. Is the Roller Coaster analogy scientifically accurate?

While the Roller Coaster analogy is a simplified representation of energy transfer, it is scientifically accurate in its basic principles. However, it should not be taken as a literal explanation of all scientific processes, but rather as a helpful tool for understanding the concept of energy conversion.