Understanding the Effects of Force on a Pulley System

In summary, two blocks of mass m1 and m2, connected by a massless string and a frictionless pulley, are being pulled by a force F. The acceleration of the pulley, ap, can be found by using the equations F=ma and T=m1a1=m2a2. By differentiating the position of the pulley and the lengths of the strings, the relationship between ap, a1, and a2 can be determined.
funnyboy1000

Homework Statement

Two blocks of mass m1 and m2, resting on a frictionless tabletop, are connected by a massless string passing through a frictionless pulley of mass mp. The figure shows a top view of the arrangement. If a force of magnitude F is applied to the pulley in the direction indicated, what is the acceleration ap of the pulley?

Homework Equations

F=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea how to go about this problem. I know the tension in the strings will be F=ma, but I don't understand how the force of the pulley being pulled acts on the rope. Rather than giving me the answers, I would appreciate if someone helped me understand the effects of everything in the problem. I understand that ap cannot equal (m1+m2+mp)/F because there is tension in the ropes, but I don't understand the effect of the force applied to the pulley and how it effects the ropes.

Attachments

• pulley blocks.png
    pulley blocks.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi funnyboy1000! welcome to pf! :wink:

call the tension T, and the lengths of the two strings L1 and L2

(obviously, (L1 and L2)'' = 0)

then apply good ol' Newton's second law (F = ma) three times, to each of the three masses …

what do you get? :smile:

Would you add the forces together? And I don't think the lengths of the string in this problem actually matter. I also don't understand why the length of the two strings are 0. Also, how can I figure out the acceleration of the two blocks if I don't know the acceleration of the pulley? Would the force being exerted on the pulley also effect the tension in the ropes? Sorry, I am kind of a idiot. Thanks a lot for the help though.

funnyboy1000 said:
… I also don't understand why the length of the two strings are 0.

no, the (single and) double derivative of their sum is 0

just write all the F = ma equations, and solve them

Tension in the top rope = m1*ap = T1
Tension in the bottom rope = m2*ap = T2
F= mp*ap + T1 + T2
This is what I got so far... is that correct? If so then... F= ap(m1+m2+mp)... and the only given hint in the problem states that ap =/= F/(m1+m2+mp)

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
funnyboy1000 said:

no
F= mp*ap + T1 + T2

yes, but T1 and T2 are the same, so just use "T"

Then you would get ap=F/(mp+2m)... which is essentially the same thing because T=2(ap)m. I am so confused, sorry about this.

funnyboy1000 said:

no..

So umm.. how do I find the tension in the rope? Does the force exerted on the pulley have a effect on the tension in the rope?

funnyboy1000 said:

you need to use the acceleration of the individual masses

So... acceleration of the individual masses= F/m1? But I can't see how that could be if the acceleration of the pulley is dragging the blocks at the same acceleration as the pulley, due to the string being attached to the blocks.

funnyboy1000 said:
But I can't see how that could be if the acceleration of the pulley is dragging the blocks at the same acceleration as the pulley …

it isn't!

the heavier mass is lagging behind (accelerating less than the lighter mass)

start again! :smile:

Actually.. that was a stupid statement. If there is tension in the rope, the acceleration of the mass being dragged has to be less than the acceleration of the pulley. I don't understand how to find the acceleration of the mass being dragged though.

correct these two :rolleyes:
funnyboy1000 said:

Wait... i feel stupid now... I just sort of worked it out and (F-2T)/mp= ap. I had F=mp*ap+2T written the entire time, but it didn't dawn upon me to try and solve for ap. Is my thinking correct? If so, how do I solve for T?

funnyboy1000 said:
(F-2T)/mp= ap.

yes, but T is unknown, so you still need the other two equations

Which other two equations? I am back to being confused... :( I tried 2T=-mp *ap+F but I just over complicated things... and I don't think I was on the right track. I also know that T=T1=T2=m1*a1=m2*a2, but that doesn't help much...

funnyboy1000 said:
Which other two equations?

T=m1*a1=m2*a2

How do I find a1? Or do I just leave it as is? Thanks for putting up with me so far...

what is the geometric equation relating a1 a2 and ap ?

a1=F/m1? I don't understand how ap and a1 are related... Could you hint something please?

call the position of the pulley xp, and the lengths of the the two parts of the string x1 and x2

then differentiate :smile:

Related to Understanding the Effects of Force on a Pulley System

1. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. When the rope is pulled, the wheel turns and can be used to lift or move objects.

2. What is the purpose of using a pulley to pull two blocks?

The purpose of using a pulley to pull two blocks is to reduce the amount of force needed to move the blocks. By using a pulley system, the weight of the blocks is distributed between multiple ropes, making it easier to lift the load.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the force needed to pull the blocks?

The more pulleys there are in a system, the less force is needed to pull the blocks. This is because as the number of pulleys increases, the weight of the load is distributed among more ropes, decreasing the force needed to lift the load.

4. Can a pulley system be used to lift objects heavier than the weight limit of an individual pulley?

Yes, a pulley system can be used to lift objects that are heavier than the weight limit of an individual pulley. This is because the weight of the load is distributed among multiple pulleys, allowing for a greater weight limit.

5. Are there different types of pulley systems that can be used to pull two blocks?

Yes, there are different types of pulley systems that can be used to pull two blocks, such as a fixed pulley, a movable pulley, and a compound pulley. Each type of pulley system has its own advantages and can be used in different situations.