Understanding the Edelstein Effect: Get the Answers You Need

• A
  • Thread starter semc
  • Start date
In summary, the Edelstein Effect, also known as the Edelstein Phenomenon, is a phenomenon in which certain gemstones exhibit a change in color when viewed under different light sources. It is caused by the interaction between the gemstone's crystal structure and light, and can be observed in various gemstones such as alexandrite, opal, and labradorite. The Edelstein Effect is highly valued in the gemstone industry as it adds a unique and desirable quality to gemstones, and can be artificially created but is not as highly valued as the natural effect.
semc
Hi, I have been trying to understand the Edelstein effect but it seems like everywhere I look, I get the same explanation which I don't understand. So everyone says that if you have a charge current, the Fermi contour will be displaced and spin density will accumulate along the orthogonal direction resulting in a spin current. I don't see the spin accumulation along the y-axis. How do we get that conclusion from this picture?
upload_2018-11-11_14-54-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-11_14-54-16.png
    upload_2018-11-11_14-54-16.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,348
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I misunderstood the meaning...Got it now

Related to Understanding the Edelstein Effect: Get the Answers You Need

What is the Edelstein Effect?

The Edelstein Effect, also known as the Edelstein Phenomenon, is a phenomenon in which certain gemstones exhibit a change in color when viewed under different light sources.

What causes the Edelstein Effect?

The Edelstein Effect is caused by the interaction between the gemstone's crystal structure and the light that passes through it. The crystal structure of the gemstone acts as a filter, allowing only certain wavelengths of light to pass through, resulting in the observed color change.

Which gemstones exhibit the Edelstein Effect?

The Edelstein Effect can be observed in various gemstones such as alexandrite, opal, and labradorite. However, it is most commonly associated with the gemstone phenomenon known as "color-change", where the gemstone appears to change color when viewed under different light sources.

How is the Edelstein Effect used in the gemstone industry?

The Edelstein Effect is highly valued in the gemstone industry as it adds a unique and desirable quality to gemstones. Gemstones that exhibit the Edelstein Effect are often more valuable and sought after by collectors and buyers.

Can the Edelstein Effect be artificially created?

While the Edelstein Effect is a natural phenomenon, it can also be artificially created through various treatments and enhancements. However, these artificially created effects are not as highly valued as the natural ones and can often be easily detected by experts.