Understanding the Double-Slit Experiment: Photon Direction and Predictions

• Thread starter glederfein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Double-slit
In summary, in the double-slit experiment, if photons are fired at random directions, it is not possible to predict which slit the photon will pass through. However, if the direction of the photons is measured, the interference pattern is lost. This is because the localization of the photons makes their momentum and wavelength uncertain, preventing interference from occurring.
glederfein
I have been studying the double-split experiment and read different descriptions of it, but there's something I don't quite understand about the actual setup of the experiment:

In the version of the experiment when photons are fired at the slits one-by-one:
  1. Are the photons fired at random directions?
  2. If I measured the direction in which each photon is fired, would I be able to predict through which slit the photon will pass and therby alter the result?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you use a laser to fire photons in the direction of the left slit you will get no interference

glederfein said:
I have been studying the double-split experiment and read different descriptions of it, but there's something I don't quite understand about the actual setup of the experiment:

In the version of the experiment when photons are fired at the slits one-by-one:
  1. Are the photons fired at random directions?
  2. If I measured the direction in which each photon is fired, would I be able to predict through which slit the photon will pass and therby alter the result?

It's possible to collimate the beam so that you can be able to tell which way the photon went, but if you do that the interference pattern is lost. To create an interference pattern the beam must be wide enough (the position must be uncertain enough) that you simply cannot tell which way the photon went. The rule of thumb is: if you can tell which way the photon went (no matter how), than you get no interference pattern. That happens because the localization of the photon makes its momentum (and wavelength) so uncertain that interference cannot happen.

Related to Understanding the Double-Slit Experiment: Photon Direction and Predictions

1. What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves sending a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does the double-slit experiment demonstrate wave-particle duality?

The double-slit experiment shows that light behaves both as a wave and as a particle. When the light is sent through the slits, it creates an interference pattern on the screen, which is characteristic of waves. However, when the light is observed at the level of individual particles, it behaves like particles, creating distinct bright spots on the screen.

3. What is the role of photon direction in the double-slit experiment?

In the double-slit experiment, photon direction refers to the direction in which the individual photons travel through the slits. This is important because it determines the interference pattern that is formed on the screen. If the photons are sent through the slits at different angles, the interference pattern will be different.

4. How do scientists predict the results of the double-slit experiment?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as the wave function, to predict the results of the double-slit experiment. These equations take into account factors such as the wavelength of the light, the distance between the slits, and the distance to the screen. They can accurately predict the interference pattern that will be observed on the screen.

5. What are the implications of the double-slit experiment for our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The double-slit experiment is significant because it shows that light can behave both as a wave and as a particle, challenging our traditional understanding of the physical world. It also demonstrates the role of observation in quantum mechanics, as the act of observing the particles affects their behavior. The experiment has led to further research and theories, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, in an attempt to understand the complex nature of quantum mechanics.